PHILADELPHIA  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Allegheny 22nd Street & Allegheny Avenue P Railroad 1938 In Use Brick
Allen Lane Allen Lane & Cresheim Street P Railroad 1885 In Use Brick  
Carpenter Carpenter Lane & Emlen Street P Railroad 1885 In Use Brick/
Wood
Chelten Avenue
(Cheltenham)
Chelten Avenue & Pulaski Street P Railroad ???? In Use ????
Chestnut Hill West Germantown & Evergreen Avenues P Railroad 1884  In Use Stone
Chestnut Hill East Bethlehem Pike & Chestnut Hill Avenue P Railroad 1931 In Use Stone
Germantown Chelten Avenue & Baynton Street P Railroad ???? In Use ????
GraverS LANE 300 East Gravers Lane and Anderson Street P Residence 1883 In Use Brick  
Holmesburg
Junction
Rhawn & Tulip Streets P Railroad ???? In Use Brick  
Manayunk 4401 Cresson Street P Business 1930 In Use Brick  
Mt. Airy Gowen Avenue & Devon Street P Railroad 1883 In Use Brick
North Philadelphia 2900 North Broad Street P Railroad 1896 In Use Brick
Overbrook

Overbrook
(Westbound Shelter)
City Line Ave. (US 1)
and 63rd Street
P Railroad/
Residence
1860 In Use Wood
Philadelphia SE corner of 15th and Carpenter Streets F Storage ???? Gone Brick  
Philadelphia 30th & Market Streets P Offices 1933 In Use Brick
Philadelphia Suburban Station, 1617 JFK Boulevard P Offices 1929 In Use Brick
Philadelphia B and Venango Streets F Railroad 1928 In Use Brick
Philadelphia
(Reading Terminal)
12th & Market Streets C Business 1893 Gone Stone
Philadelphia
(Spring Garden)
8th and Spring Garden P Vacant ???? Aband. Brick
Philadelphia
(N. Broad Street)
2600 North Broad Street P Civic 1929 In Use Brick
Queen Lane Queen Lane & Wissahickon Avenue P Railroad ???? In Use Brick
Shawmont
Station
7800 Nixon Street P Business 1834 In Use Concrete
Stenton Gorgas Lane & Blakemore Street P Railroad 1907 In Use Stone
St. Martins St. Martins Lane & Springfield Avenue P Railroad ???? In Use Brick
Torresdale Grant Ave & James Streets P Railroad ???? In Use Stucco  
Tulpehocken Walnut Lane & Tulpehocken Street P Vacant ???? In Use Brick  
Upsal Upsal & Greene Streets P Restaurant ???? In Use Brick
Wayne Junction Wayne & Windrim Avenues P Railroad 1901 In Use Stone  
Wyndmoor Willow Grove & Station Avenues P Railroad 1930 In Use Stone
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Angora  
Belmont This station was just to the NE of West Fairmount Park at GPS: 39.990076,-75.20457). This is near where the Fairmount Park offices used to be during the 1876 Exhibition.
Bridesburg  
Bustleton  
Centennial Station
(Fairmount Park)
This station was on the corner of Belmont and Parkside Avenues (GPS: 39.977605,-75.213979). It was built for the 1876 World's Fair. It burned down in 1896.
Cheltenham  
Chestnut Hill This station was built in 1872 and sat at Bethlehem Pike & Chestnut Hill Avenue. It was demolished in 1930 and replaced with the current station (same location).
Chestnut Hill An earlier station is shown on the 1863 map at the same general location as the one listed above.
Chestnut Hill
(St. Martins)
Originally called Wissahickon Heights Station.
Chestnut Hill
(Highland)
 
Columbia Avenue Station Columbia Ave has since been renamed Cecil B. Moore Avenue and this stop is now the Temple Station.
East Falls This station was off of Midvale Ave. and was built in 1912. This was the third station that was built in East Falls. It burned down circa 1982.
Fern RocK This station was south of West Godfrey Avenue on the west side of the tracks.
Fishers This station was located on the north side of Logan Street between Stenton Avenue and North 20th Street (GPS: 40.031122,-75.157261). The wood shelters are still standing, concrete underpass and stairs still exist but fenced off.
Forest Hills  
Fox Chase  
Frankford Junction This station, built in 1871, was at Frankford Avenue and Butler Street.
Germantown Built in 1855 by the Phildelphia Germantown & Norristown Railroad (later Reading RR), this station on Main Street was destroyed by fire in 1981. It was at the southeast corner of Germantown Avenue and Price Street, across from Vernon Park. When it was built in 1855, it replaced Shingle's Tavern, which was previously used as the waiting room and ticket office for the railway.
Germantown The 1863 map shows another PG&N at Chruch Lane and what is now Baynton Street (GPS: 40.037094,-75.168452).
Germantown
(Wingohocking Station)
 
Germantown Road This station was on the Cresheim Branch.
Hestonville This station is shown on the 1863 map of the city. It was at the corner of Lancaster Avenue, North 52nd, and Merion Avenue (GPS: 39.97754,-75.226414).
Holmesburg Junction This was the original PRR station that was located above Rhawn Street.
Lawnton This station was south of 66th Avenue on the west side of the tracks.
Lindley This station was onthe south side of Lindley Avenue on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 40.029088, -75.135359.
Logan This station was near the intersection of Lindley Avenue and Old York Road (GPS: 40.030580, -75.145728).
Manayunk The first Manayunk Station, built by the Phildelphia Germantown & Norristown Railroad in 1834, was located on Jackson Street. It was made of concrete and was demolished upon construction of the PRR in that town in 1884.

The 1863 map shows three stations in central Manayunk. Click here to see that section of map.
Manayunk There was also a station on the SW side of the tracks near the intersection of Cresson and Kingsley Streets (GPS: 40.022209,-75.217128). The station likely served the four mills and a rope factory that were nearby. This is shown on the 1863 map.
Manayunk This station replaced the one listed above. It was located at Cresson Street & Roxborough Streets. This second, street-level Manayunk Station was built 1884 by the Phila. & Reading, when the Pennsylvania Railroad laid their Schuylkill Branch.

The 1863 map shows three stations in central Manayunk. Click here to see that section of map.
Manayunk The 1863 map shows the PRR station on Green Lane on the south side of the tracks next to Girard Manayunk College.
Manayunk Was located at Dupont & High Streets.
Mantua Station This station was on the north side of the tracks at 41st Street (GPS: 39.971554,-75.205654).
Mermaid Avenue Built in 1877 and closed in 1931 as part of the Chestnut Hill elevation project.
Nicetown Station was at North 21st Street and Hunting Park Avenue
Oak Lane This station was on the SW side of West Cheltenham Avenue.
Olney Built in 1906, this station sat at Tabor Road and Mascher Street. It was torn down in 2008 and replaced by new high level platforms with shelters slightly north of the original structure's location.
Olney This was the NPRR station here prior to the 1906 P&R station.
Philadelphia Broad Street station at North Broad Street and what is now JFK Boulevard. Built in 1881, closed in 1952, demolished 1953.
Philadelphia There was a passenger station on the SE corner of Market Street and 11th Street (GPS: 39.951439,-75.158114). It was built in 1854 and is shown on the 1863 city map.
Philadelphia This freight station sat at the corner of Market and Thirteenth Streets. The building was purchased by businessman John Wanamaker in 1876 and converted into the "Depot Store." It is shown on the 1863 map of the city.
Philadelphia This freight station sat at Delaware Avenue and Christian Street.
Philadelphia This freight station sat at Federal and Front Streets.
Philadelphia
(West Philadelphia)
Built in 1901, this station was located at 32nd Avenue and West Market Street.
Philadelphia
(Kensington)
There was a Phildelphia & Trenton RR station at the site of what is now the Kensington High School for the Creative and Performing Arts on the east side of North Front Street at West Montgomery Avenue (GPS: 39.977248,-75.133634). This was the original terminus of the P&T RR and is shown on the 1863 city map.
Philadelphia This was the 52nd Street station located at 39.978086, -75.226219. Some remnants of the upper part of this station exist. Abandoned in 1980, the photo is from April 1981.
Philadelphia Sat at 24th and Chestnut Street. The station was built in 1886. The front porch, as seen in this old photo, was demolished around 1940.
Philadelphia Sat on the NW corner of Broad and Washington Streets. Later served as a freight station for the PRR. It is shown on the 1863 city map.
Philadelphia
(Gray's Ferry)
The station is shown on an 1886 map, near the intersection of 49th Street and Gray's Ferry Avenue. It was closed sometime prior to 1938 as it is not shown on maps from that year.
Philadelphia There was a PW&B depot at the end of Washington Avenue at what is now South Columbus Boulevard at GPS: 39.932997,-75.142933. This station is shown on the 1863 city map.
Philadelphia There was a West Chester & Phildelphia RR/Philadelphia & Baltimore Central RR station on the NE corner of Market Street and 18th Street (GPS: 39.953339,-75.169787). This station is shown on the 1863 city map and was built around 1850. In 1881, the West Chester & Philadelphia Railroad was consolidated into the P&BC, and the merged lines were controlled by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, which was itself controlled by the PRR.
Philadelphia There was a West Chester & Philadelphia station on the SE corner of Market Street and was used to be called Lehman Street (GPS:39.954844,-75.185087). This station is shown on the 1863 city map. The name on the map is barely legible, so I am not 100% sure of the RR name here.
Philadelphia
(Bell Road)
There was a station shown on the 1863 map called Bell Road Station which at Island Avenue (GPS: 39.899127,-75.238398).
Philadelphia This station was located at Walnut & 31st Streets.
Philadelphia This freight station was located on 9th and Green Streets.
Philadelphia The 1863 city map shows a station taking up the block bordered by Noble, North Broad, Callowhill, and North 13th Streets (GPS: 39.959861,-75.160904).
Philadelphia The 1863 map shows a freight station between Callowhill and Noble Streets near North Front Street (GPS: 39.957846,-75.138652).
Philadelphia The 1863 map shows an NPRR station on the SE corner of Noble Street and Front Street (GPS: 39.958997,-75.138985).
Philadelphia The 1863 map shows an NPRR station on the NW corner of North American Street and West Montgomery Avenue (GPS: 39.978094,-75.139342).
Reservoir Station The 1883 railroad map shows a Phildelhia & Newtown station SW of what is today the Lawndale SEPTA stop. Reservoir Station was at GPS: 40.050175,-75.105624)
Ryers  
Sedgewick
(Mt. Pleasant)
Built in 1880.
Somerton  
Tabor This station was ont he north side of West Olney Avenue.
Tacony  
Tioga Was located at West Tioga and North 20th Streets in North Philadelphia.
Washington Lane This station was at Washington Lane & Clearview Avenue. This was also a site of an original PG&N station as shown on the 1863 map.
Wayne An original PG&N station is shown here on the 1863 map on Wayne Avenue.
Wayne The 1863 map also shows a station on the south side of Logan Street (GPS: 40.030942,-75.156999).
Wayne Junction The original Wayne Junction station was built in 1881.
Wister This station, built in 1932, was at Ashmead & Rubicam Streets.
Wister
(Duys Station)
The 1863 map shows a station in what is now Wister Woods Park at approximately (GPS: 40.035337,-75.157294). On the 1883 map it is known as Duys Station.
Wissinoming  
Wyndmoor On the 1863 map, the Wyndmoor station is shown on the NW side of East Willow Grove Avenue on the north side of the tracks. Another station was built in 1877.
1895 PHILADELPHIA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP


Map Of Original Railroad Stations In Downtown Philadelphia

Notes About Existing Stations...

Chestnut Hill (PRR) - Station was heavily modified when line was electrified in 1918.

North Philadelphia (PRR - 2900 North Broad ) - Formerly known as Germantown Junction Station. On National Register Of Historic Places.

Overbrook (PRR) - This is purported to be the oldest station on the Main Line from Overbrook to Paoli, dating from the 1850s. It is built entirely of wood and has seen much use and wear. There is a splendid brick interlocking tower about 50 yards east of the station, and an artfully-built concrete bridge which carries City Line Ave. over the tracks. Here is an old photo. The westbound passenger shelter is on the Drexel Rd. side of the tracks.  The descriptive information is for the inbound (Eastbound) station/ticket office/newsstand/residence near the signal tower on the 63rd St. side of the tracks. -- James Boylan

Philadelphia (PRR - 30th & Market) - More Info from Allen Underkofler's site.

Philadelphia (PRR - JFK Boulevard) - More Info from Allen Underkofler's site.

Philadelphia (PRR Freight) - Original PRR LCL container transloading facility in Fairhill Yard. Addition to building built in 1945. +50,000sq ft clear span in original building with two overhead cranes and three indoor tracks and one outdoor track. Active rail-related facility.

Philadelphia (RDG - North Broad Street) - A previous station sat at this same site and it was referred to as Reading's Huntingdon Street station. After closing, the building became a motel and is now a halfway house.

Philadelphia (RDG - 8th & Spring Garden) - The station still sits intact on the north corner of 8th and Spring Garden. It is a two-story building. The second story is an elevated passenger station.

Philadelphia (RDG - 12th & Arch) - Also site of the Reading Terminal Market. The market predates the station (in fact it is the descendant of the original market at the the eastern end of Market Street that gave the street its current name). When the P&R bought the site, the elevated station permitted the market to continue below. This station was eventually replaced by SETPA's Market East station when the PRR and Reading commuter lines were connected in the early 80's. The station's old buildings are in use for several purposes. The old train shed is now part of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Another part of the station is now part of a large food market with fresh and prepared foods served in stalls. The rest of the terminal is now a Hard Rock Cafe and office building. The Market East station is a block south of Reading Terminal and is located beneath The Gallery which is a large indoor mall. This is the second station to be built at this location. This station cost the railroad $90,000 to build.

Philadelphia (RDG - 8th & Spring Garden) - The station still sits intact on the north corner of 8th and Spring Garden. It is a two-story building. The second story is an elevated passenger station.

Shawmont (PG&N) - Originally built by the Philadelphia, Germantown & Norristown RR (later RDG) in 1834, it was closed by SEPTA in 1991. The station was called "Green Tree" from 1834-1873 and was at one time referred to as Nixon Street Station. The Shawmont Station is the oldest, original railroad station in the United States as the the 1831 station at Ellicot City, MD has been through restoration and been altered. It was built in the "Greek Revival" style and had the roof mouldings re-modeled and an addition put on the back in the 1870's. It also resembled a typical stagecoach stop, as many early PG&N stations did in the 1830's. It will likely become a national landmark in the years to come. --John Johnstone