|Ambler||27 West Butler Pike||P||Business||1877||In Use||Wood|
|Ambler||West Butler Pike||F||????||????||In Use||Wood|
|Ardmore||Station Ave.||P||Railroad||1950s||In Use||Brick|
|Ardsley||Edge Hill Rd. & Jenkintown Rd.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Wood|
|Belmont Avenue at Levering Mill Road, 1/8 mile north of Belmont Avenue||P||Vacant||????||Aband.||Stone|
|Bethayres||Huntington Pike & Station Rd.||P||Railroad||1883||In Use||Brick|
|Bridgeport||Off of Depot Street||C||Vacant||1930||In Use||W/B|
|Bryn Athyn||999 Fetters Mill Road||C||Post office||1902||Aband.||Wood|
|Bryn Mawr||Bryn Mawr Ave. and Elliott Rd., 1 block east of US 30||C||Railroad||1963||In Use||Brick|
|Bryn Mawr||Bryn Mawr Ave. and Elliott Rd., 1 block east of US 30||F||Business||1870||In Use||Stone|
|Fayette St. & Crawford Ave. (2 Harry Street)||P||Business||1884||Gone||Brick|
|Cynwyd||U.S. 23 & Montgomery Ave.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||B/W|
|East Greenville||406 4th. St.||P||Private||1920||In Use||Wood|
|Elkins Park||Spring Ave.& Park Ave.||P||Railroad||1899||In Use||Stone|
|Fort Washington||Bethlehem Pike & Station Ave.||P||Railroad||1903||In Use||Stone|
|Glenside||Easton Rd. & Glenside Rd.||P||Railroad||1873||In Use||Stone|
|Gwynedd Valley||521 Plymouth Rd.||P||RR/Business||1888||In Use||Wood|
|Hatboro||Penn St. & Jacksonville Rd.||P||Railroad||1935||In Use||Brick|
|Hatfield||Market St.& Broad St.||C||Business||1913||In Use||Brick|
|Haverford||Haverford Station Rd.||P||Railroad/
|Hendricks||1/4 mile north of its former location on the corner of Hendricks Station Road and Hendricks Road.||P||Private||????||None||Wood|
|Jenkintown||Greenwood & Glanside Aves.||P||Railroad/
|Lansdale||SR 63 at Walnut St.
(right at the tracks)
|Lansdale||S. Broad across from library||F||Vacant||1909||In Use||Stone|
|Melrose Park||Valley Rd.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Stone|
|Merion Station||Merion Rd. & Highland Ave.||C||Railroad/
|Merion Station||Merion Rd. & Highland Ave.||F||Railroad||????||In Use||Brick|
|Miquon||River Road & Manor Road, 2 mi. west of Ridge Pike, in Whitemarsh Twp.||P||Business||1910||In Use||Brick|
|Narberth||Haverford Ave.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Stone|
|Noble||Old York Rd.||P||Railroad||1901||In Use||Brick|
|Norristown||DeKalb & Lafayette Sreets||P||Railroad||1932||In Use||Brick|
|Norristown||Corner of Dekalb & Lafayette Sts.||F||Business||1934||In Use||Concrete|
|North Hills||North Hills Rd. & Station Rd.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Stone|
|North Wales||435 School Street||P||Business||1873||In Use||Brick|
|Oaks||Egypt Rd. & Station Ave.||P||Business||1918||Aband.||Wood|
|Old York Rd.& Chelten Hills Rd. in Elkins Park||P||Private||1874||In Use||Stone|
|Oreland||Bridge St. & Bruce Rd.||P||Railroad||1931||In Use||Stone|
|Penllyn||Penllyn Pike||P||Railroad||1930||In Use||Stone|
|Pennsburg||Off of PA 663 & Station Road at 220 4th. St.||P||Residence||1914||In Use||Wood|
|Philmont||Tomlinson Rd. & Tracey Rd.||P||Railroad||1913||In Use||Stucco|
|Pottstown||S. Hanover St. and Security Plaza||P||Bank||1929||In Use||Brick|
|Pottstown||S. Hanover St. and South St.||F||Storage||1929||Gone||Brick|
|Port Kennedy||1/4 mile north of Route 23, just off Route 422 in Betzwood Bridge Valley Forge NHP||P||Storage||1910||In Use||Wood|
|Rosemont||Airdale Rd. & Montrose Ave. 1 block east of US 30||P||Railroad||1880||In Use||Brick|
|Royersford||Main St. at Railroad Plaza||P||Business||1931||In Use||Brick|
|Rydal||Fairway Valley Rd.& Rydal Rd.||P||Railroad||1888||In Use||Brick|
|Schwenksville||390 Main Street (Route 29)||P||Business||1943||Gone||Brick|
|Souderton||2 West Broad Street (off PA 113).||P||Business||1928||In Use||Stucco|
|Telford||50 North Main Street (Main Street at Penn Avenue).||P||Vacant||1931||In Use||Brick|
|Telford||Penn Ave.||F||????||1930||In Use||Brick|
|Whitehall||Glenbrook Ave. & County Line Rd. in Bryn Mawr||P||Civic||1860||Gone||Wood|
|Willow Grove||Davisville Rd.& Old York Rd.||P||Railroad||1939||In Use||Stone|
|Wynnewood||Wynnewood Rd. & Penn Rd.||P||Railroad/
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|Bala||This is the old station, now gone.|
(West Laurel Hill)
|I believe this is a photo of the PRR station that is/was at Laurel Hill Cemetery. I know that's the cemetery in the photo, but is that building the station??|
|Bryn Mawr||Sat at the northwest corner of Bryn Mawr and Morris Aves. Built in 1869, it was demolished in 1963. Another view.|
|Bryn Mawr||Anyone know where this station was and on which line?|
||The North Pennsylvania Railroad line from Philadelphia to Bethlehem was built through Hatfield Township in 1856, with the Lansdale-Doylestown branch being constructed that same year. A railroad station was built where the Doylestown branch crossed Bethlehem Pike, and was named "Line Lexington". As a village grew around the Line Lexington Station, it needed its own name to avoid confusion with the village of Line Lexington, one and a half miles away in Bucks County. In January 1871, a post office, called Jenkins, was established in the village. In June 1871, the post office was renamed Ainsworth, perhaps after a hotel owner. But two weeks later, both the post office and the train station were renamed Colmar. By 1896, Colmar consisted of some 20 dwellings built on both sides of the railroad. --Adapted from the Hatfield Twp. Website|
|This station was more substantial than the westbound station due to heavier passenger traffic to Philadelphia.|
|Delphi (Zeiglerville Station)||Built 1888, closed in 1953.|
|Dreshertown||This station was near the intersection of Susquehanna Road and Limekiln Pike.|
|Gladwyne Station||Sat 2.5 miles from Gladwyne along the Reading line.|
|Green Lane||Torn down in 1966.|
|This station was on Henderson Road near Church Road.|
|Jenkintown||This station was built in 1872 but was replaced in 1932 by the current station on the same site.|
|Linfield||Built in 1877. Town was originally known as Limerick.|
|Noble||In the photo, the station is decorated for an 1889 visit from President Harrison.|
|Norristown||Built 1862, closed in 1932.|
|Norristown||Main Street Station. The station was located on the Stony Creek Branch that connects Norristown and Lansdale Pennsylvania. It was replaced with a modern shelter in the 1960's that is served today by Septa's R6 commuter rail line.|
|The inbound (to Philadelphia) ticket office and waiting room (pictured) burned down in the mid-90's. The only piece left of the old inbound station is the southern two sections of the platform shelter. SEPTA has built a new station.|
|Oreland||Built 1890, closed in 1931.|
|Perkiomen||This station was just south of Oaks where the PRR crossed the Perkiomen RR.|
|Perkiomenville||This was the original station.|
|Perkiomenville||This was the second station here.|
|Pottstown||Original station built 1867, closed in 1929.|
|Rahns (Iron Bridge)||On Perkiomen Branch|
|Royersford||This was the original Royersford P&R station which was a tavern before the railroad came through town. The old Schwenk's Tavern was in service from 1839 until the "new" station went into service in 1923.|
|Schwenksville||Original station, burned down March 8, 1942.|
|Souderton||This predates the station that was built in 1928.|
|Stowe||Built 1912, closed in 1953.|
|Built 1873-4. The station was
named Lukens Station after the owner of the land, Jonathan Lukens. It
was situated in the "west point" end of Upper Gwynedd Township, which
was then farmland. Lukens and his neighbor, Amos Jones, split some of
their farmland into lots, sold them, and houses were built. In 1878 a
Post Office was built, and named the West Point Post Office. Lukens
Station became the West Point station. --Mike Simpson
This station was located off of Main Street between Moyers Boulevard and Garfield Avenue. The station derived its later name as a result of 2 businessmen from a neighboring town of North Wales. These men started a feed and grain business there and they named it West Point because it was west of the business they had in North Wales. --George Slater
|Willow Grove||Built in 1886, closed 1965. Replaced as passenger station by newer (1939) station that is still standing|
|1895 MONTGOMERY COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
|Notes About Existing
Bala (PRR) - This was the Barmouth Station on the Cynwyd Line that branched off from the westbound PRR mainline just west of the Phila Zoo, and ran north through Wynnefield Avenue, Bala, Cynwyd, and then Barmouth Station just north of Belmont Avenue, as it entered West Laurel Hill Cemetery and then ultimately crossed north over abridge that spans the Schuylkill River. Currently, the tracks are used west of Philadelphia on the SEPTA R6 Cynwyd commuter rail line, but the trains go no further than Cynwyd.
Bryn Athyn (RDG) - This is on the Newtown Branch, same line as Churchville and Southampton. This line has been out of service since mid 1980's but SEPTA still plans on reactivating line in the future for commuters. Original Station was enlarged in 1927 to add what is now the post office. Station is located at RR milepost 15.10. SEPTA does not consider tracks as abandoned, only "out-of-service."
Bryn Mawr (PRR) - This station is built in mid-20th century colonial style. About 50 feet east of the eastbound station is a stone freight shed, dating to about 1870; it is now a restaurant. On the westbound side is a splendid yellow brick-and-copper interlocking tower. The station that it replaced was torn down in 1963 when this one was erected.
Jenkintown (RDG) - Designed by Horace Trumbauer.
Melrose Park (RDG) - The inbound (to Philadelphia) ticket office and waiting room burned down in the mid-90's. That is the building on the left in the old Oak Lane photo. The only piece left of the old inbound station is the southern two sections of the platform shelter. SEPTA has built a new station.
Merion (PRR) - This is truly the best-maintained station on the line. The Merion Civic Association maintains the buildings, and they could easily be placed in Germany. Brick platforms, red brick and yellow stucco walls with green window frames and window boxes full of geraniums, plus a very busy schedule and lots of commuter use make this the ultimate example of a great station.
Miquon (RDG) - This is a 1-story red-brick station with a low hipped roof. There is also an inbound wooden passenger shelter. The name "Miquon" is a Lenape Indian word meaning "feather" and was given to William Penn as a humorous nickname after he tried to explain to the natives what his last name meant (they also gave him the respectful name "Onas" meaning "friend").
North Wales (RDG) - The original station was located about 2500 feet south of the present station. When the new station was built, it had iron supports under the overhanging roof instead of wooden beams. The station also had a cupola located on the roof centered over the ticket agent's office (Similar to Glenside and Doylestown)..
Old York Road Station (RDG) - This station was also known as Ogontz Station and closed to passenger service in 1899 when the Elkins Park station opened just a 1/4 mile or so down the line. The station was still used for freight for some time.
Port Kennedy (RDG) - Passenger service ended 1980. SEPTA renamed this station Valley Forge at some point.
Whitehall (PRR) - Built in 1860 this was the first Bryn Mawr station that served the original PRR route. The PRR straightened the line in 1868 and built a new station. Used as the Bryn Mawr Hospital Thrift Shop. The station was built in 1860 by the PRR so they could have a telegraph office in Whitehall. The station stopped being used by the railroad in 1868 when the new tracks 1/2 mile north went into operation and passengers began using the Bryn Mawr station.
Wynnewood (PRR) - This stone station is in excellent repair. The stonework is finely-cut gray "rubble" with green stone trim. The platforms are herringbone brick and the platform roofs are "railroad gingerbread."