WAYNE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Farview ???? F Storage 1912 Gone Brick/Stucco
Gouldsboro Main Street (PA507) C Vacant 1907 In Use Wood
Lakewood
(Winwood)
SR 370 C Municipal ???? Gone Wood
Starlight TR 743 P Municipal ???? Gone Wood  
Waymart East Street C Residence 1900 ???? ????  
Waymart 1118 South Street P Museum 1857 Gone Wood  
Wimmers
(Hamlin)
SR 191/196 in Hamlin C Civic 1885 Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Clemo There was a passenger waiting shed here that was built in 1903.
East Honesdale
AND
Although ICC documents say this station was built in 1865, this line did not open until 1870. The line was under the charter of the Jefferson Railroad Company, but was financed by the Erie RR. The D&H obtained trackage rights on this line in 1898 and finally purchased the line from the Erie in 1955.
Farview  
Forest City While Forest City is located in Susquahanna County, the station was located just across the Lackawanna river in Wayne County in what is today Browndale.
Gravity This station was built in 1878.
Hawley
(EAST)
This station was built in 1878. Is was on the east side of Welwood Avenue on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 41.475156,-75.173446). This station was simply known as "Hawley" and closed before the one listed below.
HawleY
(West)
Built by predecessor Erie & Wyoming Valley RR in 1865. There was also a freight station here that was built in 1884. The passenger station was on the east side of Main Avenue (U.S. 6) on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.478367,-75.183998). This station was known as "West Hawley."
Hoadleys This combination station was built in 1885.
Lake Ariel The passenger station was built in 1886 and the freight station was built in 1896. The freight station was 20' X 40' X 18'.
Maplewood Built in 1885 by the Erie & Wyoming Valley RR.
Orson This town was also called "Belmont." It is listed as "Belmont" (north of Belmont lake) on the 1895 map below. Current atlases call it Orson. It used both listings in the NYO&W timetable which indicates that it was at milepost 178.14 with the call letters BM.
Poyntelle  
Preston Park  
White MillS Station
AND
Although ICC documents say this station was built in 1865, this line did not open until 1870. The line was under the charter of the Jefferson Railroad Company, but was financed by the Erie RR. The D&H obtained trackage rights on this line in 1898 and finally purchased the line from the Erie in 1955.
1895 WAYNE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Farview (D&H) - The existing brick station, built in 1912, replaced a wooden structure on the same foundation originally constructed in 1875 when the Gravity Railroad was converted to passenger service. Here is my educated guess on the cornerstone which reads "1875." It was removed from the passenger station which was constructed in 1875 with the establishment of passenger service, and then placed in the present location when the existing freight station was constructed for the state hospital and prison. The D&H Gravity RR was the first commercial railroad in the USA. The gravity railroad was converted to standard gauge in 1899 and operated until 1931. The original gravity line ran from Carbondale to Honesdale in northeastern Pennsylvania and transported coal from the mines to the Delaware and Hudson Canal basin in Honesdale. The coal was then transported 108 miles by canal boat to New York City. The original name of the station was Rix's Gap, then Fairview around 1850 and finally changed to Farview by the D&H about 1874 after the establishment of the passenger service to Carbondale from Honesdale. -- Thomas Gibson

Gouldsboro (DL&W) - Renovated by the non-profit Gouldsboro Area Foundation. Open most Saturdays as a museum and gift store. Steamtown train line stop (some runs). Also hosts community events; available for party rentals.

Lakewood (O&W) - Preston Twp. Office. 2-story with agent's living quarters on 2nd floor. Town was called Winwood until 1925.

Wimmers (Erie) - Salem Public Library. This is Erie RR's Wimmer, PA (Lackawanna County) station moved to Hamlin, five miles west of Wimmer. According to ICC valuation records, the station was built in 1885 by the Erie & Wyoming Valley RR.