|Avella||Seneca place off PA50 (Avella Road)
(GPS: 40.273650, -80.459956)
|Burgettstown||PA18 northeast of Bridge Street
(GPS: 40.387676, -80.387993)
|Burgettstown||NE side of North Main Street SE of Whataker Street (GPS: 40.386702, -80.390575)||R||Business||2010||Gone||Wood|
|California||Temperance Way & Wood Street
(GPS: 40.068273, -79.889072)
|Canonsburg||Murdoch Street & Jefferson Avenue
(GPS: 40.257489, -80.188225)
|Finleyville||Ann Street||C||????||???||In Use||Wood|
|Washington||S. Main & Railroad||C||Railroad||1888||In Use||Stone/
|Washington||Washington & Chestnut Sts.||F||Businesses||1884||In Use||Brick|
|S. Main & Park||P||Storage||1907||Gone||Brick|
|West Amity||51 West Hillsboro Road||P||????||????||Gone||Wood|
|West Brownsville||South side of Main Street just west of Blaine Avenue.
(GPS: 40.023787, -79.892004)
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|Bentleyville||Demolished. Only the bumper block for the team track remains.|
|Blainesburg||The station was near the north end of Main Street (formerly Railroad Street) at approximately GPS: 40.035677, -79.881701. This station is shown on the 1921 Sanborn map of Brownsville.|
|Braddock||The station was at the intersection of Braddock Road and Sanitarium Road.|
|Bulger||This station was on Lincoln Street.|
|Burgettstown||This station was built in 1883 and was on the NE side of North Main Street SE of Whataker Street (GPS: 40.386702, -80.390575). It was torn down around 2009 and a replica of the station in its original configuration was erected on the same site. Some wood and windows from the original station were used to construct the replica.|
|California||This was the original passenger station here, built in 1885. It was located at GPS: 40.068352, -79.889395. After the new station opened in 1910 it then served as the baggage pickup building.|
|Canonsburg||The original station was a Chartiers Valley RR station here that was built in 1871. It was located on the same site as the existing station at the corner of Murdoch Street and Jefferson Avenue (GPS: 40.257489, -80.188225). When the new brick station was planned, this station was moved to the west in 1907. Click here to read an excellent article by James T. Herron Jr. from the Jefferson College Times newsletter that details the history of the railroad and stations of Canonsburg.|
|Canonsburg||Between the time when the original station was moved to the west in 1907 and the new station was built in 1909, there was a small temporary depot, a baggage house (which was an old boxcar) and platform at the west end of the depot site as can be seen in the photo next to the old station which was being prepared for its move (GPS: 40.257321, -80.188678).|
|Chartiers Depot||According to the 1876 atlas, this station was just west of Tunnel #6 in eastern Buffalo Township.|
|Coal Centre||The passenger station was on the SE side of Spring Street on the north side of the tracks at GPS: 40.069877, -79.900200. The freight station was on the SE side of Strawberry Street at GPS: 40.069789, -79.899824.|
|Cook Station||This early Chartiers Valley station was in the vicinity of Oak Grove Road on the NW side of Washington.|
|Finleyville||This most likely predated the current station.|
|Hackney||This is not the building that currently sits on SR2007 near the old grade (which looks like it could have been a station but isn't). The station was torn down in 1940 and, prior to that, was used as a barn and storage shed by a private owner after the line ceased steam operations in 1933.|
|This station was near where Georgetown Road crosses the tracks in the SE part of Lawrenceville. A Chartiers Valley RR station is shown here on the 1876 map. In 1876 it was known as "Hills," but is shown on modern atlases as Hyland.|
|In 1876 the Chartiers Valley station here was on the east side of Main Street on the north side of the tracks.|
This shelter-type structure was at Houston, where the track to some coal mines (called the Western Washington Railroad) left the Chartiers Division mainline. The location is about a mile south of the Canonsburg station (west in PRR parlance). The picture was taken after/during a 1912 flood, and the Western Washington bridge over Chartiers Creek probably was under water. The passenger cars probably were there because the Canonsburg station was under water. You can see a path along the passenger cars. Industry was at Canonsburg, and a lot of men walked along the right-of-way to and from work. The plant where radium was produced (and where Madam Curie visited)was only a quarter-mile down the line, behind the cars standing there. Compare this shelter with the one at Greer. Perhaps this shelter had a name, but Sanborn maps don't show this area and no map could be found (yet) showing this buiilding. The 1945 PRR list of stations and sidings seems to indicate two stations at Houston. One is at MP 15.3 (Houston Tower was at 15.2) and the other is at MP 16.0. The one at 15.3 seems to be that shelter-type station and the one at 16.0 the main Houston station.
|Hunts Station||This was a station on the Chartiers Valley RR as shown on the 1876 map. This may be the same station as Houston as it was in that area but on the east side of the river.|
|Huston Run station||This station was four miles NW of Monongahela.|
|Judge Chambers Station||A small waiting shelter was here.|
|This station in shown on the 1876 county atlas as Ewing Station.|
|Monongahela||This station was across the river in Allegheny County. It sat to the NE of the PA136 bridge (GPS: 40.201129,-79.915854).|
|Morganza||This station served the old Pennsylvania Training School at Morganza (a reform school that was just outside Canonsburg). It was located on Curry Hill Road at GPS: 40.270414, -80.162888.|
|Primrose||This station was built in 1904 according to the PCC&St.L Annual Report of that year.|
|This station was on Railroad Street. It was probably torn down in the 1960s. A new freight station was built here in 1904 according to the PCC&St.L Annual Report of that year.|
|Richfol||This station was between Morganza and Canonsburg.|
|Prior to 1895, this station was known as Johnson.|
|Studa||This was the end of the 6.6 mile Langeloth Branch that came from Vanlear.|
|Summit||A small waiting shelter was here. This was between Judge Chambers Station and Braddock.|
|Taylorstown Station||Also known as Crother's Station, this depot sat across from the post office on a side road off SR3009.|
|Van eman||This was a station on the Chartiers Valley RR. There is an old grade going south from here. This was the "Chartiers Southern" which started at Van Eman through Eighty Four, to Glyde (where a tunnel is) down to the PRR Marianna Branch. The B&O was supposed to have owned the Chartiers Southern from Eighty Four to Marianna, even though no physical connection existed in between the two railroads. The line was started South from Van Eman in 1908, but was abandoned in 1917 having never been completed.|
|Washington||The passenger station was on the north side of West Chestnut Street at Washington Street just in front of the existsing freight station (GPS: 40.171715, -80.253875).|
|Washington||The original B&O freighthouse here burned in 1887 and was replaced in 1888.|
|West Brownsville||In 1888 the passenger station was just west of Bridge Boulevard on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.023938, -79.890972). It appeared to be a part of a block of buildings rather than a traditional stand-alone station. This block of buildings included a grocery store and several dwellings. This station appears on several maps through 1901.|
|West Brownsville||On the 1907 map, a new station appears in approximately the same location as the one listed above. This station, however, is not attached to any other buildings.|
|Westland||The Westland Branch went from Houston to Westland via Brevard.|
|1895 WASHINGTON COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
|Notes About Existing
Avella (P&WV) - Restored by A.D. White Research Society. See restoration photos at their site.
Burgettstown (Replica) - The original PRR station at this site was torn down around 2009 and a replica of the station in its original configuration was erected. Some wood and windows from the original station were used to construct the replica.
California (PRR) - On National Register of Historic Places. Caboose also on site. Became the library in 1958.
Washington (B&O) - The tracks don't see much action anymore besides an almost daily local which wanders down in the evening from Pittsburgh. In 1986, CSX ripped out around 15 miles of track between Wheeling, WV and Claysville, PA, severing the tracks which were once the farthest west in the USA. Station was designed by E F Baldwin. It cost $9,794. According to the B&O Annual Report of 1888, the station was built in that year.
Washington (W&W) - Used by Judson and Wiley for storage. It was built for the narrow gauge Waynesburg and Washington railroad back in the 1920's. After the Pennsylvania RR bought out the W&W, the tracks by the station were dual-gauged for a while. The station has beautiful stonework, but it is not in really good shape now. A supply and cement company uses the building for storage, and cement trucks drive down where the tracks were. The tracks were last used in the late 70's/early 80's when Conrail would deliver hoppers to the supply company.
West Brownsvile (PRR) - "Train Station Auto." Covered with aluminum siding. This may be the original freight station as the 1886 map shows the freight station at this same location.