LUZERNE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Avoca Main Street north of McAlpine Street
(GPS:
C Business 1912 In Use Wood

Avoca Main Street north of McAlpine Street
(GPS:
F Residence ???? In Use Wood
Eckley Main Street at Eckley Miners Village
(GPS: 40.993555, -75.862578)
C Museum 1969 None Wood
Hazleton Corner of West Chestnut & South Vine Streets. F Business ???? In Use Brick  
Hunlock Creek East side of U.S. 11 across from the old post office. C Vacant 1873 Gone Wood  
Pittston North side of Market Street between Lagrange and Spring Streets. F Civic 1903 Gone Brick  
West Nanticoke U.S. 11 C Business 1873 Gone Wood  
Wilkes-Barre Market Street Square & Wilkes-Barre Blvd. P Vacant 1869 Aband. Brick/
Wood
 
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Alderson
(Harvey's Lake)
 
Ashley Ashley Station was on the mainline (milepost 169.25) and the Nanticoke Branch (MP 4.86)
Ashmore Was on the Hazleton Brach between Weatherly and Stockton. A five mile branch began here that went to Hazle Brook, Pink Ash Junction, Jeddo, Drifton and Freeland.
Avoca Before the new passenger station was built in 1912, the passenger station was on the west side of the tracks where Mill Street crossed (GPS: 41.335729, -75.744055). This station is shown on the 1903 map, but not on the 1908 map.
Avoca This combination station was built in 1885.
Avoca There was a waiting shed/platform and a freight station across the tracks. The photo shows the freight station next to the transformer house/substation.
Avoca There was a waiting shed and platform at the SW corner of Plane Street and William Street (GPS: 41.342336, -75.735080).
Beach haven This combination station was built in 1883.
Bear Creek Photo shows stations and hotel.
Dallas There was a passenger and freight station here.
Drifton  
Dupont Station was off route 11 paralleling Pittston bypass. The concrete bridge abutment and wood from northbound station are still visible from the route 11 Pittston bypass. These were wooden shelters. They were leveled after passenger service terminated in 1952.
Duryea This combination station was built in 1878.
Edwardsville Junction  
Freeland  
Hazleton Built in 1907 this station sat between Church and Laurel Streets. It was demolished in 1963.
Hicks Ferry This was a shelter-type station built in 1898. Hick's Ferry was on the east side of the river across from Wapwallopen.
Hudson Built in 1886, this was a combination passenger and freight station.
Inkerman  
Jeansville In 1875 the station was on the west side of Main Street on the north side of the tracks. The 1875 map also shows another RR line going trough town a couple blocks north but paralel to the LV. That line is marked, "Old RR to Yorktown (not used)." Yorktown is now known as Audenried in Carbon Co. and this line may have been the Lehigh & Susquehanna as that RR is shown going through Yorktown.
Jeddo The station collapsed from heavy snow in the mid-1990s.
Kingston This station was located on the east side of the mainline, just north of the roundhouse. It, and a freight house, were built in 1878.
Kingston  
Laflin  
Langdon This station was built in 1902.
Laurel Run Sat at the foot of the Northampton St. overpass at MP 161.29.
Lehigh Tannery There were stations on both sides of the river here about 700 feet from each other as the crow flies. The CNJ station was on the west side of the river (in Luzerne Co.), on the south side of Tannery Road, on the east side of the tracks. The LV station was on the east side of the river (in Carbon Co.) also on the south side of Tannery Road on the west side of the tracks.
Luzerne Station was on the Bowman's Creek Branch.
Luzerne Built in 1878.
Miners Mills Station sat near East Main St. Burned down in Jan., 2000
Mountain Grove
(Wolften)
The photo may be of the original Danville, Hazleton & Wilkes Barre station. The station was alternately known as Wolften in the early days and that station is shown on the 1876 map.
Mountain Top  
Nescopeck Built 1880 and was located on Broad Street. Passenger and freight stations as well as the tower were all torn down in 1968.
No. 7 Junction There were passenger and freight stations here. Both were built in 1890. The frieght station was 20' X 30' X 16'.
Pittston This combination station was at the corner of Kennedy Boulevard and Water Street. It was torn down when a new business was built there.
Pittston  
Pittston There was a freight station here that was built in 1886.
Pittston There was a freight station here that was built in 1878. It may have originally served as a passenger or combination station.
Pittson
(Susquehanna Ave.)
This station was built in 1893.
Pittston Junction In the photo, the building closest to the diamond is the LV passenger station. The LV freight station is behind it to the left. The DL&W/PRR station is to the right.
Pittston Junction
AND
This station was built in 1888 and was owned 50/50 by DL&W and PRR. See above for photo.
Plains This combination station was built in 1893.
Plainsville  
Plymouth Built in 1888. There was also a freight house here that was built in 1901.
Sandy Run  
Shavertown  
Shickshinny This station was built in 1888.
Stockton The photo is shot looking west toward Hazleton just east of the current road crossing with the former LV Hazleton line with Hazle Creek to the right and the outline of the Hazleton Shaft Colliery in the distance to the right of center.
Suscon This station was built in 1903.
Tunnel Station At White Haven Tunnel. Also known as "UN" Tower.
Wanamie The narrow-gauge Wanamie Mine Railroad ran behind the station.
Wapwallopen  
West Pittston Sat on Susquehanna Avenue. Was built in 1883.
White Haven Torn down in the 1980s.
White Haven  
Wilkes-Barre There was a smaller CNJ passenger at the corner of High Street and Hazle Street (GPS: 41.236705,-75.891001). This station is shown on the 1891 and 1910 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of the city.
Wilkes-Barre
(South)
There was another small passenger station on the NE side of Parrish Street near South Main Street. Across the tracks on South Main was a small Lehigh Valley passenger station.
Wilkes-Barre The freight station was just to the SW of the main passenger station along South Wilkes-Barre Boulevard (formerly Baltimore Street) at GPS: 41.241258,-75.880483.
Wilkes-Barre There was a freight station near the corner of Market Street and Wilkes-Barre Boulevard at approximately GPS: 41.241258,-75.880483.
Wilkes-Barre This station was on the SE corner of East Market Street and North Pennsylvania Avenue.
Wilkes-Barre Was near the corner of East Pennsylvania Avenue (formerly South Canal Street) and East Market Street. Torn down in mid-1960s. It also served the PRR and D&H.
Wilkes-Barre
(South)
There was a smaller passenger station on the SE side of South Main Street just NE of Parrish Street.
Wilkes-Barre This freight station was on Northampton Street near Wilkes-Barre Boulevard.
Wilkes-Barre This freight station was on the corner of Northampton Street and South Canal Street (now South Pennsylvania Avenue).
Wyoming The water tower in the background of the photo says "Nelson Brothers" which is now Diamond manufacturing. This station was built in 1883.
Wyoming Station was off 8th Street in West Wyoming.
Yatesville This station was built in 1893.
1895 LUZERNE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Avoca (D&H) - This is the third station to serve Avoca. It is now a pool supply company.

Avoca (D&H Freight) - This is either the original freight station or the first or second passenger station moved from its original location which was across the tracks to the northwest.

Eckley (Replica) - This station was built for the 1969 movie Molly Maguires and still serves as the museum gift shop here.