FRANKLIN  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Blue Ridge Summit SR2011 & SR2013 P Library ???? In Use Wood  
Chambersburg North 2nd P Business ???? ???? ????  
Chambersburg North 3rd & East King
(GPS: 39.938369,-77.657024)
P Business ???? Gone Brick/
Stucco
 
Chambersburg Off North 2nd behind Jennings Chevy F Business 1890s Gone Brick  
Chambersburg US 30 East of I-81 C Business ???? None Wood
Ft. Loudon Mullen Street C Library ???? Gone Wood  
Greencastle Baltimore & Jefferson P Civic 1908 In Use Wood
Lemasters At Snider's Elevator on LeMart Road C Business ???? Gone Wood  
Mercersburg Oregon & Church Streets P Business ???? Gone Wood
Mont Alto Penn Street P Private ???? None Wood
Quincy South side of U.S. 30 in Norlo Park, Guilford Township, just outside Fayetteville. P Museum ???? None Wood
Williamson Cedar Street P Storage ???? Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Burgner  
Brookside  
Chambersburg This was the "new" CV station that replaced the one at East 3rd and King Street (still standing) in the 1920s.
Chambersburg According to the 1868 map, there was a passenger station on the west side of North 2d Street between East King Street and Grant Street (39.940257,-77.658797).
Chambersburg According to the 1868 map there was a freight house on the corner of Grant and North 2nd.
East Fayetteville  
Fayetteville  
Good Siding  
Greencastle This was the first railroad station in Greencastle. It was at 35 North Carlisle Street. It later became the Citizen's Bank building when the railroad constructed a new station in 1900. The arrow in the photo indicates the station building. The bottom photo shows at train stopped in front of the station (obscured by the train).
Greencastle This was the second station built in Greencastle and stood at 100 Carlisle Street. It was built in 1900. The station served as temporary classroom space for the high school in 1914 while a new school was being constructed.
Greencastle According to the 1868 map there was a freight house off South Carlisle Street in the vicinity of where the American Legion is today.
Kauffman's
Station
This station, built in 1889, also housed the post office and a grocery store. An older station is shown here on the 1868 map. That station was on the south side of what is now SR 2016 on the east side of the tracks.
Knepper  
Ledy
(Intersection)
The 1.4 mile Mont Alto Park track split off near here as the RR delivered visitors to the park. Old timetables do not show an actual station at the park itself, but there was a station building or shelter here.
MArion Station A depot is shown here on the 1868 map.
Mason & Dixon  
Mont Alto This was either the original station. It was originally located on the grounds of the Mont Alto Iron Works and was built in 1872.
Nunnery Both Orphanage and Nunnery are listed as stations on the old Mont Alto time tables. It is not clear if they had actual depots. The Nunnery was at milepost 16.2 (from Waynesboro Jct. with the Cumberland Valley RR), and the Orphanage was at mile 15.2.
Orphanage  
Pen Mar  
Pond Bank  
Quinsonia  
Richmond
Furnace
 
Scotland Passenger station.
Scotland This was probably the original station, later used as a freight station.
Waynecastle Although this building was probably built by the mill rather than the railroad, it is a classic railroad freight structure. It was located at 3289 Waynecastle Road.
Waynesboro The passenger station was on the north side of Main Street at GPS: 39.759459, -77.584844. It was built between 1891-1896.
Waynesboro The original frame freight house/grain warehouse here was along what is now Cumberland Valley Avenue on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 39.759969, -77.584159. The building remained for some time as a feed and grain warehouse under private ownership after the CVRR built its new freight station (listed below).
Waynesboro A new brick frieght station was constructed between 1902-1910 just to the south of the old freight station at corner of West Main Street and Cumberland Valley Avenue at GPS: 39.759178, -77.584365.
Waynesboro A.K.A. the Baltimore & Cumberland Valley RR on this line. The passenger station was on the south side of Main Street at GPS:39.759080, -77.584997.
Waynesboro The original frame freight house/grain warehouse here was on the west side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 39.760063, -77.585124 about 150 feet north of Main Street. The building remained for some time as a feed and grain warehouse under private ownership after the WM its new freight station (listed below).
Waynesboro The WM built a new brick freight house closer to Main Street on a new siding sometime between 1896-1902. It was located at approximately GPS: 39.759644, -77.585492.
Waynesboro
There were three small freight houses on Chruch Street southwest of East 5th Street where the WM and CV crossed. Two were on the NW side and one was on the SE side.
Waynesboro Junction This was at the junction of the Mont Alto RR and the Cumberland Valley RR. It is shown as Mont Alto Junction on the map below.
Woodstock  
1895 FRANKLIN COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Chambersburg (Replica) - This replica station was built by Bill Putch, husband of Jean Stapleton. It was supposedly built to the specifications of a real station. 

Greencastle (PRR) - This was known as the Greencastle "highline" station.

Mont Alto (Mont Alto RR) - This station most recently served as a teen center and polling place. It now (as of 2009) is vacant. 

Quincy (Mont Alto RR) - This station has been moved at least three times and is in good condition. Station was bought by Bill Putch, Producing Director of Totem Pole Playhouse and husband of actress Jean Stapleton, and moved to his Caledonia Station Restaurant on US 30 in 1982. Purchased by James Fouchard in 1987 and later moved to another site on US 30. Acquired by Guilford Township in 2008. Moved to Norlo Park and restored to Cumberland Valley/PRR color scheme from information provided by Mr. Fouchard. Now serves as a museum. For more information and photos see James Fouchard's Quincy Station website.