FAYETTE  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Belle Vernon 99 First Street
(GPS: 40.127598, -79.874816)
P Residence ???? In Use Brick  
Brownsville 53 Market Street (North side of Market Street between Brown Street and Brownsville Avenue)
(GPS: 40.022619, -79.886161)
P Businesses 1928 In Use Brick
Brownsville NW side of Albany Road just NE of U.S. 40 overpass.
(GPS: 40.024234, -79.883050)
F Vacant 1931 In Use Brick  
Connellsville
(New Haven)

AND
900 West Crawford Street
(GPS: 40.016866, -79.599083)
P Business 1911 Gone Brick  
Connellsville
(New Haven)

AND
US 119 & PA 711
(GPS: 40.016653, -79.600992)
C Storage 1907 Gone Wood
Connellsville North Water Street just north of West Peach Street.
(GPS: 40.019988,-79.592707)
P Railroad 2011 In Use Brick  
Ohiopyle Main & Sheridan Streets
(GPS: 39.869846, -79.492170)
C Civic ???? Aband. Wood
Uniontown PA51 north of West Penn Street
(GPS: 39.902892, -79.726577)
F Shops ???? In Use Brick  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Ache Junction Here the Mon Rwy. junctioned with the PRR Coal Lick Run Branch.
Ache Junction A station is listed here on the 1923 PRR list of stations and sidings.
Adah  
Adelaide  
Adelaide  
Alicia  
Antram  
Arensburg  
Arnold City This was on the P&LE's Downer Junction Branch.
Atchison  
Bannings Station This station was off Railroad Street NW of Banning Road. There was a Pittsbuirgh & Connellsville station here as early as 1872 as it is shown on the county map from that year (GPS: 40.120234,-79.752103).
Belbois This was on the PRR's Grindstone Branch.
Belle Vernon The first station here was near the corner of Water and First Streets in the lot adjacent to the existing station at GPS: 40.127681, -79.875064. This old station is shown on the Sanborn maps from 1895-1910. On the 1900 map, it is labeled as the Erie Hotel (likely a mistake). The photo shows it as the station during a flood in 1907. The new station was built between 1910-1918.
Belle Vernon Station  
Bidwell  
Big Meadow Run  
Braznell This was on the Redstone Branch.
Broadford  
Broadford This station was on the P&LE's Youghiogheny Northern Branch.
Broadford Junction This was the start of the Youghiogheny Branch.
Brown This was on the P&LE's Downer Junction Branch between Arnold City and Perryopolis Junction.
Brownfield
AND
The B&O and PRR may have shared this station on the north side of Brownfield Road at approximately GPS: 39.859443, -79.716571.
Brownsville Junction  
Brownsville This was the first union station. It was replaced by a new building in the same location in 1928.
Brownsville This white metal building was used as a temporary station to transition from the old union station to the new union station in 1928. This first photo shows the temporary station with the old union station being demolished in the background. The second photo shows the temporary station with the new union station being built in the foreground.
Bute This was on the Vance Mill Branch.
Casparis  
Charlestown
Station
 
Cheat River  
Clarissa This was on the P&LE's Dickerson Run Branch.
Coffman Indian
Creek
Valley RR
The ICVRR was built in 1908-1910. It was acquired by the B&O in 1927, abandoned 1965 Jones Mill to Roaring Run, and abandoned 1972 Roaring Run to Indian Creek Jct.
Connellsville The first station here was built by the Pittsburgh & Connellsville RR on the west side of Water Street on the east side of the tracks north of Peach Street (just north of where the Amtrak station is today) (GPS: 40.020142,-79.592801). This station is shown on the county map from 1872. The station was attached to the engine boiler shop at the engine facilities here.
Connellsville The second station here was built in the same location as the first station (GPS: 40.020142,-79.592801). It was built sometime between 1897-1901.
Connellsville The freight station here was just to the NW of the passenger station at GPS: 40.020741, -79.593335. It was built sometime between 1897-1901.
Connellsville In 1886, the South-West Pennsylvania RR passenger station was on the east side of Pittsburgh Street between Peach Street and Grape Alley (GPS: 40.019694, -79.588960). A new station was constructed acorss the tracks between 1901-1907. This original station building survived until at least 1914 when it was used as an Adams Express office. See this map for a comparison of that area in 1901 and 1908.
Connellsville There was an early Southwestern PA RR freight house on the south side of Peach Street bewteen Carnegie Street and Pittsburgh Street (GPS: 40.019694, -79.588960). This station is shown on the 1886 map and later maps.
Connellsville Some time between 1901-1907 a new, larger station was built in the block bordered by Pittsburgh Street, Peach Street and Grape Alley. The old station remained across the tracks vacant with a dwelling on the second floor. See this map for a comparison of that area in 1901 and 1908.
Connellsville There was a 1970s-era metal station here before the new station was built in 2011.
Connellsville
(New Haven)
The New Haven Southwestern PA RR station was on the north side of Crawford Street (formerly Ferry Street) at 4th Street (GPS: 40.017222, -79.596601). There was a small freight station to the NE on the tracks that ran along 5th Street (GPS: 40.017383, -79.597179). The freight station later saw the addition of a larger platform (as shown on the 1908 map).
Connellsville
(New Haven)
There was a small freight station to the NE of the passenger station on the tracks that ran along 5th Street (GPS: 40.017383, -79.597179). The freight station later saw the addition of a larger platform (as shown on the 1908 map).
Connellsville
(New Haven)
The first station here on this line was at approximately the same spot as the 1907 station. This original station is shown on the 1896 and 1901 maps.
Crossland  
Darnley This station was between Dickerson Run and Sand Rock.
Davistown Indian
Creek
Valley RR
 
Dawson The station was ont he north side of the tracks between Cochran Street and Main Street at GPS: 40.045704, -79.654597.
Dickerson Run This original Pittsburgh, McKessport & Youghiogheny station was built in 1883.
Dickerson Run Dickerson Run was the excahnge point between the P&LE and WM. The P&LE (PMcK&Y) station is pictured above and this may have served as the WM station as it sat across the tracks.
Downer Junction  
Dunbar This station was on Railroad Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 39.974486, -79.616195.
Dunbar This statioin was on the north side of Woodvale Street along the creek bank at GPS: 39.974238, -79.616747. It was on the SW side of the tracks just south of the trestle. The station was torn down in the spring of 1959.
Eagle Transfer This station was between Morgan and Summit on the P&LE's Youghiogheny Northern Branch.
Emme Station  
East California  
East Fredericktown  
East Millsboro  
East Rices Landing Station  
East Riverdale  
East Roscoe  
Ellwell Junction This was the interchange for the P&LE's Ellwell Branch and Downer Branch Extension.
Evans Station  
Everson  
Fairbank  
Fairchance This station was on the south side of Chruch Street on the SE side of the tracks at GPS: 39.819916, -79.752879.
Fairchance This station was on the south side of Chruch Street at Deforest Aveune on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 39.820085, -79.754771.
Falls City
(Ohiopyle)
Falls City was an original station on the Pittsburgh & Connellsville RR.
Fayette City This station sat at the corner of Union and Water Streets at GPS: 40.099132, -79.840446. It was last used as a residence and was torn down sometime between 2000-2010.
Footedale  
Fountain Mills Station An original station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR.
Francis This station was between Newcomer and Messmore. It is listed on the 1923 PRR list of stations and sidings.
Frost's Station  
Fuller Fuller is now part of Perryopolis. This was on the P&LE's Downer Branch Extension.
Gans  
Gates  
Gillespie  
Gist  
Grays Landing  
Grindstone This was on the Redstone Branch.
Helen This was the terminus of the Keister Branch.
Hickman Run  
Horseshoe Bottom Station This station was on the Confluence & Oakland Branch.
Huron  
Hutchinson This station was on the south side of Reservoir Road at approximately GPS: 39.864949, -79.710759.
Ifield This station was on the Cat's Run Branch.
Indian Creek Station  
Indian Creek  
Indian head Indian
Creek
Valley RR
 
Iron Bridge Station This was an early station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR. It was on the south bank of Jacobs Creek near where Old US 119 (Mt. Pleasant Road) crosses the creek at the RR trestle over the creek (GPS: 40.112158,-79.553477).
Isabella  
Kaufmann There is a station shown near where Bear Run empties into the Youghiogheny near Kaufmann. The station has no name on the map.
Keister Junction Station  
Keisterville  
Kier  
Lake Lynn  
Laurel Run This station was on River Road at approximately GPS: 40.060468,-79.681118.
Landon Station  
Lardin This station was ont he Moser Run Branch.
Layton There was a station on the Pittsburgh & Connellsville here as early as 1872.
Leckrone Here the Mon Rwy. junctioned with the B&O's Smithfield-Masontown Branch.
Leith The B&O Crossland Branch junctioned here with the Fairmont, Morgantown & Pittsburgh Branch. The station was on Cinder Road in the vicinity of GPS: 39.890787, -79.719214.
Leith This station was on the west side of Cinder Road in the vicinity of GPS: 39.891987, -79.720914.
Lemont Furnace  
Lemont Furnace  
Lilly Run Junction  
Linn This was on the Redstone Branch.
Low Phos This was a mine station at the end of the Los Phos Branch.
Martin  
Masontown Photos are of the passenger station and possibly two freight stations.
Maxwell  
Melcroft Indian
Creek
Valley RR
 
Merrittstown  
Messmore  
Mill Run Junction  
Miltenberger
Station
There are no roads to this location today. It was on the north bank of the Youghiougheny River in the SE corner of the Cunningham District of Tyrone Township. The station was on the north side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.053151,-79.694299. There was a station here in 1872.
Monarch This was on the Vance Mill Branch.
Morgan Station An original station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR in Upper Tyrone Township.
Morgan This station was on the P&LE's Youghiogheny Northern Branch.
Moser Run Junction  
Mt. Braddock  
Newcomer  
Newell  
New Geneva  
Nilan This was the first station east of Point Marion on the Fairmount, Morgantown & Pittsburgh Branch.
Ohiopyle  
Old Forts Station
(Bidwell)
Later known as Bidwell Station.
Old Home Works  
Oliphant Furnace This station was on the south side of Oliphant Road.
Oliphant Furnace This station was on the north side of Oliphant Road.
Oliver Junction Map in image showing location of the station is from 1941.
Orient  
Oriental This station was just NE of Fairchance.
Outcrop  
Overton An original station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR.
Pennsville  
Perryopolis Junction This was the junction of the P&LE's Downer Junction Branch and Ellwell Branch.
Point Marion This station was on the west side of the tracks at the corner of Penn Street and Railroad Street (GPS: 39.739001, -79.899831).
Ralph This was on the Lilly Run Branch.
Redstone Junction Map in image showing location of the station is from 1941.
Republic  
Rogers Mill Indian
Creek
Valley RR
 
Ronco  
Round Bottom  
Rowes Run This was on the PRR's Grindstone Branch.
Rowest  
Royal This was on the PRR's Grindstone Branch.
Sagamore Indian
Creek
Valley RR
 
Salem  
Sand Rock  
Smithfield  
Smock This was on the Redstone Branch.
Speedway This station was between Leith and Brownfield.
Stambaugh  
Star Junction This was on the P&LE's Ellwell Branch.
Stewarton  
Stewarton  
Summit This station was on the P&LE's Youghiogheny Northern Branch.
Tintsmans Station An original station on the Mt. Pleasant & Broadford RR.
Tippecanoe This was on the Redstone Branch.
Tremont  
Trotter  
Tub Run Station This station was just nortyh of Thomasdale.
Tyrone Station Shown on the early county maps, this was in the vicinity of Broadford and may have been the same station as Adelaide.
Uniontown This original frame station was on the east side of Beeson Street just north of West Penn Street at GPS: 39.902636, -79.725504. It is shown on the 1896 map of the city. When the new brick station was built, this station received an addition and became a freight station thereafter.
Uniontown This brick station was built between 1901 and 1907. It was on the north side of Redstone Creek between Besson Street and North Gallatin Avenue at GPS: 39.903559, -79.724945.
Uniontown The original South West Pennsylvania RR passenger staion was at the intersection of Beeson Street (formerly Broadway Street) and Main Street at approximately GPS: 39.901127, -79.725402. This 2-story station is shown on the 1886 map.
Uniontown On the 1891 map a new, larger passenger station is shown on the same block as the original station, but slightly to the SE at GPS: 39.900915, -79.725050. The canopy of this new station spanned the east side of Beeson Street between Main Street and East South Street.
Uniontown The original South West Pennsylvania RR freight staion was at the corner of Beeson Street (formerly Broadway) and West Penn Street at GPS: 39.902347, -79.725885. This station is shown on the 1886 map.
Uniontown On the 1891 map, a new freight station with a different profile is shown at the same location as the original freight station. Between 1907-1914 this second generation station was torn down when the new, longer, third-generation freight station (which is still standing) was built.
Uniontown
(South Uniontown)
This station was on the west bank of Coal Lick Run between West Main Street and West Fayette Street at GPS: 39.900606, -79.730800.
Upper Middletown This station was east of town on Upper Middletown Road. This was on the Redstone Branch.
Vance Mill Junction  
Vanderbilt This was on the P&LE's Dickerson Run Branch.
Victoria Station A.K.A. Salt Spring Bottom.
Walnut Hill Station  
Waltersburg This was on the Redstone Branch.
Washington Mines This was on the P&LE's Ellwell Branch.
Watson Station This was the last station on the Confluence & Oakland Branch before the Maryland state line.
White Bridge
Station
Shown on the 1941 county map.
Whitsett Junction This was on the P&LE's Ellwell Branch.
Wickhaven Station  
Young This station was NW of Stewarton station.
1895 FAYETTE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Brownsville (Union) - This is a large office building on the main street through Brownsville that now houses a multitude of businesses. Until the takeover of the Monongahela Railway by Conrail in 1993, it also served as the operational headquarters of the Mon Rwy. This station served the PRR, P&LE and Monongahela Railway. The express agency/baggage building also still stands to the north at GPS: .

Connellsville (P&LE) - This is the older pre-1911 P&LE station. It was built in 1907. A board was found inside a wall that a worker had put in while building it. It was dated July 30, 1907. Station was shared with the Western Maryland. Originally used for passenger and freight, and later used just for freight when the new station opened a few blocks east. Because it was originally built for passengers, the front half interior is all wood. The walls and ceiling are tongue and groove boards with a bead. The floor is 1" thick tongue and groove boards. There is a basement under the front half. Originally a loading dock came out under the rear door from the baggage/freight section to where the tracks came up to the back of the building. There is a built in desk and a ticket window inside. --Mark Rowan

Ohiopyle (WM) - Building used as a state park info center. ROW owned by a rails-to-trails group.