|Chester||6th Street, between Avenue of the States and Welsh Street||P||Railroad||1903||In Use||Brick|
|Cheyney||Station Road between Cheyney and Creek Roads||P||Post Office||1900||In Use||Wood|
|Clifton-Aldan||NE of Springfield Road off West Maryland Avenue, 1/2 mile south of Baltimore Pike (GPS: 39.926601,-75.290245).||P||Railroad||1880||In Use||Stone|
|Crum Lynne||North side of West Chester Pike (one shelter) and West Ridley Avenue
|Oak Avenue near
Woodland Terrace off Calcon Hook Road
|Elwyn||Elwyn Road 1/4 mile east of PA352||P||Railroad||1990||In Use||Stone|
|Folcroft||East of Primos Avenue on Baltimore Avenue
|Glen Mills||Glen Mills Rd., Stony Bank Rd. and Sweetwater Rd.||P||Railroad||1880||In Use||Brick|
|Lansdowne||East side of Lansdowne Avenue, 1 block south of Baltimore Pike.
|Locksley||Locksley Station Rd. 1/8 mile west of Creek Road.||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Wood|
|Markham||Cheney Road, near intersection with Rt. 1||P||Civic||????||Aband.||Wood|
|Media||Media Station Road, west of South Orange Street
|Morton||Yale and Morton Avenues, 100 yards west of PA420
|Morton||Yale & Morton, just west of the passenger station.
|Manchester Avenue at Bancroft Road
|Newtown Square||Drexel Lodge Park, on PA3 about 2 miles west of PA252.||F||Vacant||1895||Gone||Wood|
|Norwood||West corner of West Winona and Welcome Avenues. (GPS: 39.891209,-75.301715)|
|Primos||Oak Avenue||P||Railroad||2012||In Use||Wood|
|Maryland Avenue NE of Lincoln Avenue (PA420)
|Radnor||King of Prussia & Matson Ford Roads||P||Railroad||????||In Use||Brick|
|Ridley Park||Northwest of the intersection of East Hinckley Avenue and North Morton
|Secane||Providence Road just east of South Avenue (GPS: 39.915682,-75.309836)||P||Railroad||1880||In Use||Stone|
|Sharon Hill||400 Block of Sharon Avenue on the north side of the tracks.
|St. Davids||Chamounix Rd., one block north of US 30||P||Railroad||1890||In Use||Wood|
|Swarthmore||West side of North Chester Road (PA320) (GPS:39.902197,-75.35111).||P||Railroad||1880||In Use||Stone|
|Wallingford||Kershaw Road & East Possum Hollow Road, 1/4 mile east of Providence Road
|Wayne||North Wayne & Station Road||P||Railroad||1882||In Use||Brick|
|Railroad Ave. & Haverford Road||P||Business||1860||Gone||Wood|
|Williamson School||Off Schrencks Way near Station Drive, south of the baseball field on
Williamson School property.
|Villanova||Spring Mill Road, 1/2 mile east of US 30||P||Railroad/
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|The old Academy station was on the west side of Calcon Hook Road on the south side of the tracks (39.907012,-75.265988).|
|Arlington||This station was between South State and South Cedar Streets in Upper Darby Township. It was on the SW side of the tracks (GPS: 39.961046,-75.285391).|
|This station was was on the SE side of Chester Creek & Dutton Mill Road.|
|Boone||This station was SW of Darby station where Poplar Street/Lawrence Avenue used to cross the tracks (GPS: 39.91547,-75.26201).|
|Boothwyn||This station was on the west side of Chichester Avenue, on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.834044,-75.441914).|
|Burmont||This station was just east of Scottdale Road on the south side of the tracks near where the current SEPTA Gladstone station is located (GPS: 39.93262,-75.282183). There was also a freight station here.|
|Chadds Ford Junction||
|This station was just a few hundred yards west from the Chadds Ford station listed below and sat just across the creek in Chester County.|
|Chadds Ford||This station was located at the end of Station Way Road (GPS: 39.869958,-75.59148).|
|Chester||Was located at 12th and Providence. Torn down in 1960 when the line was put below street level for I-95.|
|Chester||There was a freight station on the west side of Potter Street at 12th Street. It was on the north side of the tracks.|
|Chester||There was a freight station on the east side of Morton Street across from the intersection with East 5th Street.|
|Chester Heights||There was a small passenger shelter here that served the Chester Heights Camp Meeting Grounds. It was similar to the one at Lamokin.|
|Chester Heights||There was a freight station here. It was still standing in the 1990s. Is it still there??|
|Clifton||There was a freight station here at the end of Penn Street (GPS: 39.927144,-75.289886).|
|Collingdale||This station was on the west side of Clifton Avenue (GPS: 39.909839,-75.276357).|
|Crum Lynne||This station was on West Ridley Avenue on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 39.871835,-75.330795). There is a shelter there now as well as on the other side of the tracks. The shelter on the SE side of the tracks may have been the old shelter that went with the old station.|
|Darby||This station was on Pine Street between 4th and 5th on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.913102,-75.254706).|
|Darby||This later station was probably on the south side of the tracks across from where the old station had been.|
|Darby||There was a freight station on the west side of 5th Street on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.912747,-75.256082).|
|Darby||This station was on the corner of Main and 6th Streets (GPS: 39.917878,-75.255256).|
|Darby Creek Station||This station was west of Essington on the east bank of the mouth of where Darby creek flows into the Delaware River. It was on the south side of the tracks near the trestle over the creek. In the early part of the century it served the boathouses at the Phildelphia Yacht Club which was just to the south of the tracks here (GPS: 39.864952,-75.312108).|
|Darlington||This station was on the west side of Darlington Road, on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 39.903954,-75.469468).|
|This station sat at the northeast corner of Fairview Road and the grade crossing (GPS: 39.871322,-75.341492). The station was torn down in Feb. 1973. The Baldwin Locomotive plant was nearby. The station had an unusual S.E. corner and a small wood building sat directly behind it (north). It was later called Eddystone Station by the B&O, but it is marked as Woodlyn on the 1909 maps.|
|Eddystone||This station was on the west side of Saville Street, just south of 7th Street. It was on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 39.85746,-75.341442). The PRR freight station was on the east side of Saville Street on a siding track which is now gone (GPS: 39.857563,-75.340873).|
|Eddystone||There was a P&R freight station just a few feet due south of the PRR station (on a spur track which ended here, tracks now gone) (GPS: 39.85713,-75.341417). This freight station may have also served the Philadelphia & Chester interurban line as those tracks ran on the north side of the building, while the P&R tracks ran up along the south side.|
|Elwyn||This station was at the same location as the current SEPTA platform on Elwyn Road (GPS: 39.907839,-75.41191).|
|Essington||This station was on the west side of Wanamaker Avenue on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.865568,-75.300945)|
|Just a few blocks from the station listed above, this depot was on the west side of Jansen Avenue on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.86605,-75.294845). It was called North Essington Station by the railroad.|
|Essington||This station was in the vicinity of Jansen and Powhattan Avenues.|
|Fairview||See listing for Eddystone above.|
|This station was on Felton Avenue just south of its former intersection with Concord Road. Location is now SE part of Greenlawn Cemetery (GPS: 39.846656,-75.39921).|
|Fernwood-Yeadon||This station was just east of Church Street (39.939778,-75.255919).|
|First Regiment Range Station||This station, located in Tinicum Township and shown on the 1909 county map, served the First Regiment Rifle Range which was a piece of land bordered by Gun Creek on the west, Darby Creek on the north, Bow Creek on the east and the P&R tracks on the south. The depot was on the north side of the tracks, just west of Bow Creek. I believe this location is somewhere near where the airport is today. Can someone provide an exact location?|
|Folsom||This station was between Folsom Avenue and Swarthmore Avenue on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.89104,-75.318106). There was also a freight station a few blocks west between Sycamore (formerly Maple) and Sylvania (formerly Forest) Avenues (GPS: 39.889978,-75.320407).|
|Glen Riddle||This station was on the east side of Pennell Road (PA452), on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 39.896712,-75.436088). There was also a freight station here just to the east of the passenger station.|
|Glenolden||This station was on the SW side of East Glenolden Avenue on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 39.89643,-75.290028).|
|This station was near Ashland and Bonsall Avenues in Glenolden. It was called Llanwellyn by the B&O. Built in the late 1800's this station was left vacant with the platforms and steps to them gone by 1943. A small concrete shelter big enough for one person stood on the other side of the tracks for the crossing guard who held a warning sign up on a pole in the middle of the street when trains passed by in the 1940s before gates were installed. The name "Llanwellyn" was used by the railroad instead of "Glenolden" because of nearby land donated by the Llanwellyn family which was orginally briefly intended as a town of its own before being incorporated into the town of Glenolden.|
|Grassland Station||This station was just west of West Eagle Road (GPS: 39.983874,-75.317432) in Upper Darby Township.|
|Holmes Station||This station was on the west corner of Amosland Road and Balitmore Avenue (GPS: 39.896009,-75.306607).|
|LAMOKIN||Lamokin was the junction with the Chester Creek branch which connected the PRR Northeast Corridor line with Lenni and the West Chester and Octoraro branches. The Chester Creek branch was washed out in a 1970s hurricane and never was rebuilt. But the right of way mains intact for SEPTA electrical distribution lines. -- Ed Havens|
|Lamokin||This station was on Pennell Street north of West 5th Street.|
|There was a freight station on the west side of South Lansdowne Avenue (GPS: 39.9371,-75.272296). The original RR name for Lansdowne was "Darby Road Station."|
|This is the original station that served the Lazaretto Quarrantine Hospital (the first such hospital in the U.S., opened in 1799). The illustration of the station is from 1856. The hospital closed in 1895 and from then on the stations that were subsequently built were known as North Essington.|
|Lenni||This station was on the NW side of Lenni Road (GPS: 39.894189,-75.448646). There was a freight station on the west side of Lungren Road (GPS: 39.893773,-75.444172).|
|Lester||This station was between 4th and 5th Streets on the southeast side of the tracks. It was on the north side of the old Lester Piano Company (GPS: 39.869881,-75.28085).|
|LlanErch||This station was near the corner of West Park Road and Llanerch Avenue (39.969848,-75.299075).|
|LlanErch||This was the freight station which was just to the NW of the passenger station.|
|Llanwellyn||This station was on North Bonsall Avenue, just east of West Ashland Avenue (GPS: 39.903685,-75.290058).|
|Marcus Hook||This station was on the west side of Market Street
|Marcus Hook||There was a freight station on a spur track (now gone) on the east side of Market Street half way between East 10th and 12th Streets. There is a vacant lot and parking lot there today (2010) (GPS: 39.821157,-75.41753).|
|Media||The old Media station was in approximately the same location as the station that was built in 1960 and is still standing (GPS: 39.914116,-75.394699). There was a freight station just to the NW of the passenger station, also on the south side of the tracks.|
|Milbourne Mills||There was a freight station located just south of Market Street (GPS: 39.962299,-75.248285).|
|Milmont||This station was at what used to be the south end of Milmont Street when that street went though to the tracks (GPS: 39.878991,-75.332972).|
|Mt. Alverno||Station was torn down in 1933. Peter and Harry Mile speculate as to the location of this station: We used to live near Mt. Alverno road, which ran near Chrome Run, a small creek in Middletown township in Pennsylvania. Where the creek ran into Chester Creek, near the end of Mt. Alverno Road, were the tracks of the Chester Creek branch of the PRR, which ran between Chester and Lenni Heights, where it joined the line running between Philadelphia and West Chester. Perhaps this was the location of that long vanished railroad station?|
|Norwood||This station was on the NE side of Amosland Avenue (GPS: 39.891199,-75.302566).|
|Ogden||This station was on the NE side of Naamans Creek Road, on the NW side of the tracks (GPS: 39.828351,-75.453479).|
|Primos||Probably built by the WC&P in the 1880s, this brick station sat at the southeast corner of Oak Avenue, sitting very close to the tracks and Oak Avenue (M.P.-8.1) (GPS: 39.92149,-75.298582). The station was about halfway between the Clifton (M.P.-7.5) and Secane (M.P.-8.8) stations. It was torn down in 1970s and replaced by a trailer type station.|
|Prospect Park (MoorE STA.)||This was the original PW&B station and predated the station that still exists. A property owner named Moore donated the property for the original station. He did so, with the "condition" that the station should carry his "family" name for as long as it exists. It was formerly known as "MOORE" Station. Today it is known as Prospect Park/Moore Station. It had a population of 390 in 1895.|
|There was a freight station here across the tracks and to the NE of the passenger station. This is the current location of the Moore Industrial Park (GPS: 39.888628,-75.308912).|
|Radnor||Photo is from 1856 when Radnor was known as Morgan's Corner.|
|Ridley Park||This station was over the tracks where the overpass for East Ward Avenue is today (between East Ridley Avenue and East Hinckley Avenue) (GPS: 39.880089,-75.32281). It was just SW of where the newer, existing Ridely Park station is.|
|Ridley Park||The freight station was at the end of Thayer Street (GPS: 39.881558,-75.320691).|
|Ridley PARK||This station was on the southwest side of North Swarthmore Avenue on the northwest side of the tracks (GPS: 39.883102,-75.328773).|
|Rockdale||This station was on the east side of Mount Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.892308,-75.433084).|
|Swarthmore||There was a freight station along Myers Avenue on the south side of the tracks (just to the east of the passenger station). This area is now a parking lot (GPS: 39.902732,-75.3489)|
|Thurlow||This station was on Highland Avenue just south of Sixth Street.|
|Trainer||This brick combination station sat on Main Street (formerly Mill Street) and was elevated at track level so it spanned both sides of the street. According to the 1909 Chester atlas, there was a freight station on the north side of the tracks on the west side of Main.|
|Twin Oaks||This station was on the east side of Market Street (PA452), on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 39.841071,-75.424951).|
|Upland||This former Chester Creek RR combination station was where Incinerator Road becomes Upland road at the old railroad overpass (GPS: 39.849619,-75.386083).|
|Upland||This station was at 1242 Kerline Street. It was on the west side of Kerlin Street just north of where I-95 is today.|
|Wawa||First station. Both generations of stations were located at the end of Station Road (GPS: 39.900643,-75.458506).|
|Wayne||Built around 1870 and demolished in the early 1950s.|
|Wayne||This station was moved 14 miles to Wayne from the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia (held in 1876) and served as a flag stop there for several years before being moved to Strafford. The building was used as a place for people to buy catalogs for the Exposition and was called the Catalogue Building while at the Expo. The photo shows the station in Wayne before it was moved to Strafford.|
|Williamson School||This station predated the one that is still standing and was in the same location off Schrencks Way near Station Drive, south of the baseball field on Williamson School property (GPS: 39.902872,-75.423406). There was a spur that split off the main track here and looped around the west side of the school grounds to a stone quarry that was north of where the old infirmary was.|
|Woodlyn||See listing for Eddystone above.|
|1895 DELAWARE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
|Notes About Existing
Clifton- Aldan (PRR) - This is a substantial building built of "rubble-cut" green serpentine stone. It is in the style of a stone Victorian farmhouse, 2-1/2 stories high. This station was originally known just as Clifton.
Curtis Park (PRR) - Prior to 1948 the stop was known as "Academy Station" believed to have been named from the Holy Child Academy which was once located nearby. The station has been closed and boarded up but still stands (dividing Oak Avenue into two halves on either side of the railroad lines and one block East of Calcon Hook Road. The building there was built by or for the PRR when the name was changed as the Curtis Publishing Co. moved to town.
Glen Mills (PRR) - This is an architectural gem--Queen Anne gothic style, red brick with black brick designs. It is believed to have been designed by Frank Furness, the world-class Philadelphia architect, who designed Philadelphia's Broad Street Station. Presently used by the West Chester RR as a scenic railroad.
Lansdowne (PRR) - This station was designed by Frank Furness and has seen much use. It was badly damaged by fire a few years ago, but has been restored. The PRR "Keystone" Station sign, resplendent in Tuscan red and gold, gleams from the platform overhang.
Locksley (PRR) - This is more of a shelter rather than a station.
Morton (PRR) - This is a "gothic cottage"-style station built of red brick with black brick detailing, three stories high. It was probably designed by Frank Furness, and is of similar style and vintage as the Glen Mills station. It is extremely well preserved. About 50 feet west is a wooden Freight shed, probably of the same vintage, still in use. Visit the Morton Station Preservation Committee web site for more information.
Moylan-Rose Valley (PRR) - This is a plain mid-19th century red-brick building with restrained architectural details. The original PRR Keystone station sign (said to be the longest station name sign in the PRR system) can be viewed on the north exterior wall of the Town House Restaurant in nearby Media. Here's an old photo.
Newtown Square (PRR) - Apparently this is the only structure which survives from the Newtown Square branch of the PRR built in the 1890's. The line went through the back hills of Radnor and Haverford townships and was in partial operation until the 1970's. This freight shed was nearly swallowed by vegetation but was moved in 5/00 to its new location at the old Drexel University Lodge Grounds. Its original location was on the west side of Newtown Street Road (Rt. 252) and now Winding Way. It is now the Newtown Square Penn Railroad Museum.
Prospect Park (PRR) - A property owner named Moore donated the property for the original station. He did so, with the "condition" that the station should carry his "family" name for as long as it exists. It was formerly known as "MOORE" Station. Today it is known as Prospect Park/Moore Station.
Secane (PRR) - This is another station of "rubble-cut" green serpentine stone, two stories high with a low-hipped roof. The station may have been built by the WC&P RR around 1869. The station used to be taller looking much like Clifton/Alden Station, but after a fire in the 1940's, the station was remodeled to its present form.
Swarthmore (PRR) - The station is a cut-greystone Victorian "gothic cottage." The walls are "rubble-cut" stone on the gable ends and "square-cut" on the platform side. The windows are tall and narrow, framed in extraordinary stonework and topped by shallow gothic arches. The style appears to be an adaptation of "collegiate gothic" as the station is adjacent to Swarthmore College. The platform shelters are unusually long and substantial.
Wallingford (PRR) - This is a red-brick Victorian station, complete with platforms and balconies. The style suggests a Frank Furness design.
Whitehall Station (P&C) - Used as Bryn Mawr Thrift Shop Offices. Originally part of the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad, Whitehall Station dates from just before the Civil War, and the line was abandoned after 1870 when the PRR tracks were straightened in the 1870's. It is a splendid example of 1860's "Italianate" architecture. President Lincoln passed through here on the way to his inauguration in 1861, and his funeral train passed by here in 1865.
Villanova (PRR) - This is a well-used station, surrounded by Villanova University. The station buildings are in good shape, and the residence is occupied. This stone station is in the same style as Haverford and Wynnewood.