|Barto||Mohr Lane off Barto Road
(GPS: 40.391577, -75.610272)
|Bechtelsville||Chestnut Street and Railroad Street
(GPS: 40.372458, -75.627652)
|Birdsboro||SW corner of Furnace Street and West 1st Street
(GPS: 40.263411, -75.807758)
|Birdsboro||NW corner of Furnace Street and West 1st Street
(GPS: 40.263810, -75.807911)
|Near the north end of Community Center Drive (off PA143 at Kistler Valley Road
and Creek Road), Kempton
(GPS: 40.629233, -75.853562)
|Douglassville||Old Philadelphia Pike NW of Britton Street
(GPS: 40.254723, -75.726630)
|Fleetwood||Richmond Street (PA662) at Brown's Feed Mill
(GPS: 40.451765, -75.820103)
|Fleetwood||South Walnut Street, one block south of Locust Street
(GPS: 40.453667, -75.814458)
|North side of Tuckerton Road in Temple
(GPS: 40.407923, -75.929819)
|Hamburg||4th Street at PA61
(GPS: 40.543100, -75.980182)
|Near the north end of Community Center Drive (off PA143 at Kistler Valley Road
and Creek Road), Kempton
(GPS: 40.629043, -75.853551)
|Kutztown||106 Railroad Street at Peach Street
(GPS: 40.521531, -75.776428)
|Lenhartsville||Off Old Route 22 at Maiden Creek
(GPS: 40.572414, -75.883830)
|Mertztown||North side of the tracks at Chestnut Street
(GPS: 40.507062, -75.666108)
|Mohrsville||Mohrsville Road just south of Main Street
(GPS: 40.470436, -75.971971)
|Plum Street between Franklin & Chestnut Streets
|Robesonia||213 9th Street, New Cumberland, Cumberland County
(GPS: 40.231687, -76.871347)
|Shoemakersville||379 Main Street
(GPS: 40.498334, -75.969906)
|Shoemakersville||Canal Street, just SE of the passenger station
(GPS: 40.497906, -75.969588)
|Sinking Spring||In Hertiage park along the north side of the ex-RDG, off Keller Avenue
(GPS: 40.322182, -76.030368)
|Sinking Spring||In Heritage park along the north side of the ex-RDG, off Keller Avenue
(GPS: 40.322116, -76.029987)
|Topton||Home Avenue, near State Street and East Centre Avenue
(GPS: 40.504183, -75.700749)
|Vinemont||West side of Vinemont Road on the north side of the tracks
(GPS: 40.279145, -76.078408)
|Wernersville||South side of East Penn Avenue between Werner Street and Stitzer Avenue
(GPS: 40.279145, -76.078408)
|Wernersville||SW corner of West Holland Street and Stitzer Avenue
(GPS: 40.328940, -76.080097)
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|Albany||A station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas.|
|Bechtelsville||The original station here was in about the same location as the existing station.|
|Berne||The original station here was a small frame structure.|
|Berne||This brick station was built in 1914.|
|Birdsboro||According to the 1876 county atlas, the original Wilmington & Reading station here was on South Furnace Street on the south side of the tracks a bit north of Office Street (GPS: 40.262617,-75.807182).|
|Birdsboro||There was a freight station virtually next door to the PRR freight station on the south side of 1st Street west of South Furnace Street on the east side of the tracks at GPS: 40.263409, -75.808113.|
|Birdsboro||Aside from the W&N station, there was also a station on the Reading main line where the Reading Belt began. This station was built around 1887.|
|Blandon||According to the 1876 county atlas, the original station here was on Chestnut Street about halfway between Main Street and Lindbergh Avenue. It was on the south side of the street and on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.439055,-75.884312).|
|Boyertown||Also known as Colebrookdale, this combination station was built 1868 and was located on the northeast side of Third Street between South Chestnut and South Washington Streets (GPS: 40.331436,-75.636637). The station was dismantled in August, 1975. Passenger service ended on the Colebrookdale Branch on January 23, 1933.|
|Clingan||Shown on the PRR List of Stations & Sidings from 1900. This station was between Birdsboro and Robeson.|
|Cold Run Station||A station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas.|
|Dauberville||Built around 1905.|
|Douglassville||The first station here stood near where the Douglassville Hotel is today.|
|Douglassville||This station was built in 1882 and was designed by Frank Furness.|
|Douglassville||Built 1916, this was at the third station here.|
|Driebelbis||Built in 1891.|
|Exeter||See listing for Lorane.|
|Farmington||A Catasaqua & Fogelsville RR station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas. There was a passenger and freight station here at that time.|
|Five locks Station||This station was on Five Locks Road at approximately GPS: 40.525888, -75.985634.|
|Fuhrmans Grove||This stop was just north of Trexler at the Furhmans Grove picnic area. There was a small shelter-type station here a little larger than a phone booth. It was torn down around 1990. The picnic area itself, not much more than a couple of picnic tables, was destroyed by a wind storn in 2011.|
|Hamburg||Built in 1887 and torn down in 1977. This station was at 2nd Street (formerly Station Street) & State Street (formerly Main Street) (GPS: 40.554304, -75.986547). Station was used for the USO in the WWII days. Second photo shows station after a flood in 1906.|
|Hamburg||There was a freight station east of 2nd Street between Pine and Walnut Streets. The station was ont he east side of the tracks at GPS: 40.552145, -75.984793.|
|Hinterleiter||This station was on the Allentown Branch between Topton and Kutztown.|
|IronStone Station||This station was between Colebrookdale and Manatawny. A station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas.|
|The Neversink Mountain was a standard-gauge electric railroad that was closed in 1917. The station was closed by the Reading in 1902.|
|Lenhartsville||Freight station. Sat near passenger station in the woods off Old 22. Collapsed into a pile of debris around 2005-2006.|
|A station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas as "Exeter." Later a brick station with the name Lorane was built in 1884. On the 1915 county map the station is still listed as Exeter, however it is listed as Lorane on the 1926 map.|
|Mertztown||An East Penn RR freight station is shown here on the 1876 atlas.|
|Mohrsville||This photo shows only the platform which is gone. The main station building is still standing down the hill.|
|Mohrsville||Built in 1864.|
|Monocacy||Built in 1882.|
|Naomi Station||This station is shown on the 1876 county atlas. It was near the current location of Ridgewood SE of Reading.|
|Ontelaunee||This station is shown on the 1915 and 1926 maps. It was on the Pottsville Pike (PA61) on the south side of the tracks at GPS: 40.417907, -75.938951.|
|Orrton||This station was on the east side of Morgantown Road at Orrton Avenue (GPS: 40.315457, -75.924687). The station is shown on the 1920 Sanborn map.|
|Orrton||This station was two miles southeast of the Reading PRR station.|
|Reading||The first station at Reading was built by the Berks County RR (later the Schuylkill & Lehigh RR, later the P&R). This passenger depot was at the NE corner of Penn and North Front Streets (GPS: 40.335627, -75.935341). The tracks ran along North Front Street. After most P&R traffic was moved to the Outer Station, Wilmington & Northern trains bound for Wilmington still used this station.|
|Reading||The first station built at the junction of the East Penn, Lebanon Valley and P&R was a frame structure constructed in 1859 that served until the nearby Outer Station opened in 1874.|
|Built in 1874, and known as the Outer Station, this structure with extensive landscaping was on the east side of 6th Street between Buttonwood and Greenwich Streets (GPS: 40.342868, -75.924251). The station burned in 1978.|
|Reading||The original wood frame freight station was on the south side of Buttonwood Street between Reed and Eighth Streets (GPS: 40.341271, -75.923533). Later (shown on the 1887 map), this was designated as the outbound freight house and an brick inbound terminal-style freight house was built on the west side of North 8th Street.|
|Reading||There was a freight station on the SW corner of Spruce and 2nd Streets (GPS: 40.330609, -75.934278).|
|There were two generations of stations here. The first was built in 1884 which was replaced by the stone station in 1930 (still standing).|
|There was a station at the Reading Fairgrounds here. The small station is shown on the 1918 Sanborn map. The station was just west of the exhibition buildings on the east side of the tracks at approximately GPS: 40.382264, -75.932983. This location is now on the property of the Fairgrounds Square Mall.|
|Reading||Back of postcard read, "Reading station in the eastern part of town. Built on the old Fitzsimmons property." Not sure if this is Reading, PA or somewhere else. Can anyone clarify?|
|Reading||In 1887 the passenger depot on the north side of Penn Street west of Front at GPS: 40.335627, -75.936295.|
|Reading||There was a freight station west of South Front Street at GPS: 40.334808, -75.935832. This station is shown on the 1887 map.|
|Reading||In 1887 there was a freight house on the west side of South 5th Street between Laural and Canal Streets (GPS: 40.326917, -75.928572)|
|This station was between the Reading PRR station and the Exeter Street Station near where Schuylkill Avenue crosses the tracks at GPS: 40.349999, -75.943361. It is listed on the 1920 PRR List of Stations & Sidings as "Kissinger." Does anyone have more info on this station or why it had that name?|
|This station was on the north side of Bern Street on the west side of the tracks at GPS: 40.362645, -75.936074 as shown on the 1918 Sanborn map. It was one block north of Exeter Street. On the 1920 PRR List of Stations & Sidings, it is listed as Exeter Street Station.|
|Reading||In 1887 there was a freight station on the west side of 2nd Street between Franklin and Cherry Streets (GPS: 40.334141, -75.934109).|
|Red Lion||A Catasaqua & Fogelsville RR station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas.|
|Rickkenbach||There was originally a passenger shelter here built in 1887 which was replaced by a station in 1912.|
|Robeson Station||Not to be confused with Robesonia, this station was in Robeson Township between Naomi and Birdsboro.|
|Robeson||Shown on the PRR List of Stations & Sidings from 1900. This station was between Clingan and Gibraltar.|
|Seyfert||Shown on the PRR List of Stations & Sidings from 1900. This station was between Gibraltar and Ridgewood.|
|Shoemakersville||The original station here was on the south side of Miller Street (Shoey Road) on the west side of the tracks. A later station was built in 1877.|
|South Mountain||Built in 1895.|
|Topton||The original depot and frieghthouse were on the east side of Main Street on the north side of the tracks according to the 1876 county atlas.|
|Later timetables have this listed as Company Farm.|
|Trap Rock Station||This station was 1.5 miles south of the Birdsboro station.|
|Trexler||According to "Reading's Victorian Depots" by Edward A. Lewis, Trexler had a 1 story frame depot measuring 30' x 15' built in 1879 and retired as a passenger depot in 1954. I previously had this photo of an existing building posted for Trexler, but it is not the RDG depot. Maybe it was a switch shack or flagstop? A station is shown here on the 1876 county atlas.|
|Virginville||In 1876 this station was on Main Street on the east side of the tracks. A new station was built in 1878.|
|Wernersville||Built in 1881, this station was in the same location as the extant 1927 station (GPS: 40.279145, -76.078408).|
|Wernersville||The earliest station here was a freight station constructed in 1856. It and the former passenger station (listed above) were replaced by the existing combination station in 1927.|
|West Hamburg||Built 1877. This station was rumored to have been dismantled and taken to another location. Can anyone confirm or deny that?|
|This station was on White Bear Road. On earlier maps this location was known as Scarlets Mills.|
|Womelsdorf||Built in 1856. There was a freight station here as well. The passenger station was torn down in 1977.|
|Wyomissing||The first station here was a 10'x14' frame shed on the east side of North Park Road at GPS: 40.338699, -75.956569 near where the Berkshire Knitting Mills factory was.|
|Wyomissing||The second station here was a brick building that was erected in the 1920s.|
|1895 BERKS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
|Notes About Existing
Barto (RDG) - End terminus of the Colebrookdale Branch. Station closed 1965.
Bechtelsville (RDG) - Municipal building, on Colebrookdale Branch. Station closed 1965.
Catasauqua (RDG) - Moved to Kempton for the WK&SRR in the mid 1960s.
Fleetwood (RDG) - Here is an old photo of the Fleetwood station.
Fleetwood (P&R) - Was this moved from elsewhere?
Frackville (RDG) - Moved from Frackville (Schuylkill Co.) to Temple in 1984 by the Blue Mtn. & Reading.
Joanna (W&N) - Kempton Passenger Station is the ex-Joanna station of the RDG W&N branch. It was moved in 1963 when the WK&SRR started up the tourist line.
Kutztown (A&A) - Built for the Allentown and Auburn RR by the P&R in 1869. The P&R operated the A&A until 1945 at which time it was merged into the Reading system. The station is currently owned by the borough of Kutztown. At times there are community events held at the station. Recently, East Penn Rail excursions used the station from 1996-99 as the starting and ending station for scenic rides from Kutztown to Topton, a distance of 4.4 miles one way. That operation went belly up in winter of 1999. The actual railroad was recently purchased by the borough of Kutztown from the Commonwealth of PA. East Penn Rail Excursions has been an on again/off again proposition. It operated in the early 2000s, but the last train was July 2005. However The Freight operation is taking off! Just come and see all the gondola cars sitting in front of the station. They are loaded with Scrap Steel for the McConway and Torley Steel Mill in Kutztown. The Borough of Kutztown, which owns the station, has received a $275,825 grant from the Transportation Enhancement Program of The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2006 for the express purpose of once again restoring the station to more modern standards The project will start in 2007 and will include heat, water , sewage, installation of handicapped access. The station will retain its original look . -- Submitted by Jim Schlegel, Chairman Kutztown Transportation Authority.
Mertztown (RDG) - Restored. Station was closed by the RR in 1964. The Mertztown station is now owned by Atlas Minerals and Chemicals, which is the industry located adjacent to the station and tracks. It is currently used for storage by Atlas. The "Mertztown" sign was built and painted by an Atlas employee who was also responsible for convincing Atlas to repaint the station into original colors.
Mohrsville (PRR) - There were steps that led from the building to a waiting platfrom up at the tracks. According to an item in the Reading Eagle from Oct. 12, 1970, the station was purchased by a private owner in 1928 and comverted to a residence.
Reading (RDG) - As of Fall, 2008 the city of Reading (owner of the station) and BARTA (local public transport agency) have compiled around $2,000,000 in grant money to renovate the station. At this point, they are looking for someone to submit a viable business idea.
Robesonia (Lebanon Valley) - Moved to New Cumberland in 1957. The original location of this station was on the west side of Robeson Street where it used to cross the tracks. The station was on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.349553,-76.136295).
Shoemakersville (PRR) - There was a section gang shanty to the south of the freight station and the foundation for that could still be seen as of 2010.
Sinking Spring (RDG) - Sinking Spring - Both the passenger and the freight stations originally sat within one hundred yards west of Railroad Street (now called Woodrow Avenue), on the NORTH side of the double tracks of the Lebanon Valley Line of the old Reading Railroad. Both structures were moved in the late 1970s to a section of the Borough Playground (now called Heritage Park) and renovated to their current condition.
Topton (RDG) - Restored! Now used by the Market Cafe.
Vinemont (RDG) - Also served as general store. Closed 1953.
Wernersville (RDG) - The station was purchased by the Heidelberg Heritage Society in 2003. The Society embarked on a restoration program which was completed in May 2013. A re-dedication ceremony was held on June 8, 2013. The station serves as an adjunct to the society's main building and is now furnished and open to the public by appointment. Visit heidelberg-heritage.org for further information.