BEAVER  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Aliquippa
(Woodlawn)
Station Street
(GPS: 40.618801, -80.242845)
P Business 1911 In Use Brick  
Aliquippa
(Woodlawn)
  Hopewell Avenue
(GPS: 40.620272, -80.243019)
F Business 1920 In Use Brick  
Aliquippa
(West Aliquippa)
  Off SR 51/Hopewell Avenue
(GPS: 40.636042, -80.244845)
P Railroad ???? In Use B/W
Beaver   East End Avenue and 3rd Street (PA68)
(GPS: 40.697794, -80.296682)
P Civic ???? In Use Brick  
Beaver   East End Avenue and 2nd Street
(GPS: 40.696788, -80.296139)
F Museum ???? In Use Brick  
College Hill
(Beaver Falls)
  PA18 & PA588
(GPS: 40.767398, -80.318886)
P Vacant 1910 In Use Brick  
Darlington 710 Market Street
(GPS: 40.809998, -80.423642)
C Civic 1806 In Use Stone
Fallston   Front Street at west end of
Fallston Bridge behind Col-Fin Steel plant.
(GPS: 40.726857, -80.311329)
C Storage ???? In Use Brick
Midland   Railroad Avenue between 5th and 6th Streets
(GPS: 40.638759, -80.456807)
F Business ???? In Use Brick  
Monaca   Pacific & 14th Avenue
(GPS: 40.688502, -80.276181)
P Civic ??? ??? Brick  
Monaca   Pacific & 14th Avenue
(GPS: 40.688693, -80.276454)
F Storage ??? ??? Brick  
Monaca   West side of 6th Street between Pannsylvania Avenue and the tracks.
(GPS: 40.699111, -80.278495)
C Club ???? ???? Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Aliquippa
(West Aliquippa)
There was a freight station on Erie Avenue just north of Third Street at GPS: 40.638211, -80.243979. There was also a tunnel under the tracks here that led across the tracks for access to the West Aliquippa passenger station. This may have been the original passenger station here.

Aliquippa
(Woodlawn)
  Early station here. The original town of Aliquippa (what is now the area of West Aliquippa) merged with Woodlawn in 1928. West Aliquippa is actually the northern part of the town, but it is referred to as "west" because of its east-west (Pittsburgh to Youngstown) status on the P&LE.
Ambridge The ticket office here was elevated about 30 feet above the tracks on a footbridge that went from the main office across the tracks to the main bridge shop at the American Bridge Company. The ticket office was located at approximately GPS: 40.581626, -80.227458 with the platforms extending north from there. Passengers used stairs on either side of the tracks to reach the platforms from the bridge. There was also a newsstand on the bridge on the west side of the tracks and an express office below the ticket office on the east side. This is shown on the 1917 Sanborn map.
Ambridge There was a freight station southeast of the passenger station at approximately GPS: 40.580718, -80.226573.
Anderson Road This station was one mile south of the South Heights station. It is listed on the 1939 timetable, but I cannot find this road on any recent maps.
Baden In 1876 the station was just south of where the tracks crossed Fours Run.
Baker Bank This station is shown on the 1876 county map. It was near where current day Hoytdale is in the upper NE corner of Big Beaver Township.
Beaver The station was located at the base of a bluff between Insurance Street and College Avenue. The P&LE and Beaver Valley Traction Company offered faster service than the PRR from points west on the Ohio River so the station was likely torn down prior to WWII.
Beaver The original freight house was near the south end of Fair Street at GPS: 40.699097, -80.297028. This station is shown on the 1906 Sanborn map.
Beaver Falls
(Eleventh Street)
The first P&LE passenger station here was on the SE corner of 1st Street and 11th Avenue (GPS: 40.751746, -80.312042). It was listed on P&LE timetables as "Eleventh Street." After a new station was built, this building remained used as a RR office.
Beaver Falls
(Eleventh Street)
A new station was built at 11th Street across the tracks (these tracks are now gone) from the old station on the new mainline. For quite some time the old station and new stations both stood here with the old station being relegated to being used as a RR office. The new station was built around 1900 and was located at GPS: 40.751443, -80.311566.
Beaver Falls
(Eleventh Street)
  This brick freight station sat at the corner of 11th Street and 1st Avenue (GPS: 40.752139, -80.312369). It was built sometime between 1901-1907. It was demolished in early 2007. There was a smaller, frame freight station at this same location prior to the contruction of the new brick station.
Beaver Falls
(New Brighton)
  Listed on P&LE timetables as "Beaver Falls & New Brighton," this brick station was moved in the 1920s about 300 yards West of its original location. It was moved across the P&LE tracks, down to the river bank, under the PRR bridge, and back across the P&LE tracks to its new location. Photos show station in original location on cribbage for the move and after being moved under the PRR bridge. I believe the original location was GPS: 40.742248, -80.320382 and the new location was GPS: 40.740893, -80.320947, although I haven't been able to confirm this on old maps. It was demolished in the 1970s.
Beaver Falls The original passenger station was near the corner of 9th Avenue and 5th Street at GPS: 40.746741, -80.322734. It is shown on the 1886 Sanborn map. There was an engine house across the tracks. On the 1896 map the new station appears and this station is marked as a freight house.
Beaver Falls The second passenger station was at the east end of Lower 11th Street at GPS: 40.751507, -80.325277.
Beaver Falls A new, larger brick freight station was built between 1907 and 1921. It was located on 11th Avenue between 11th Street and 12th Street (GPS: 40.752482, -80.324892).
Cannelton The New York, Pittsburgh & Chicago (NYP&C) was the predecessor to the Pittsburgh, Lisbon & Western (absorbed by the Youngstown & Southern in 1945). Despite its name the railroad only went from Pittsburgh to Youngstown, OH.
Clinton Clinton was the next station north of Homewood on the New Castle and Beaver Valley Railroad. This station is shown on the 1876 map. 
Colona
(Monaca Station)
This station was in the south end of Monaca in the general vicinity of GPS: 40.677380, -80.260035.
Cook's Station In 1876 this was the next station to the SW of Industry. This is probably part of Midland today.
Economy
(OLD Economy)
This station was just north of the end of 12th Street (GPS: 40.594769,-80.234062).
Economy A later station was at the end of Merchant Street at GPS: 40.601598, -80.233783.
Economy There was a freight station on the south side of 11th Street between Melrose Street and Duss Street (GPS: 40.593290, -80.228096).
Freedom In 1876 there was a passenger station on the NW side of Betz Street on the SW side of the tracks. Later there was a seperate freight station here as well.
Freedom In 1903 the station was near the foot of 5th Street on the SW side of the tracks (GPS: 40.688418, -80.258047). There was a small freight house on the NE side of the tracks (GPS: 40.688562, -80.257870). That freight station was gone by 1908.
Glasgow  
Homewood  
Industry  
Kiasola This was an early station on the line. It is not listed on later timetables. It was near where the tracks cross Moon Run (GPS: 40.673393, -80.259070).
Legionville  
Logans  
Merrill Station
(Oakwood)
This station is shown as Oakwood on the 1876 map.
Midland The station that is still standing at Midland is indicated as the freight station on the 1917 Sanborn map. The passenger station was at MP 13.8 (distance from Conway). Can anyone give a description of this location or GPS coordinates?
Monaca This freight station was on the south side of Pennsylvania Avenue at approximately GPS: 40.686285, -80.270854. It was torn down in the early 1990s.
Morado This small station was on what used be West Railroad Street alongside the former site of the Pittsbugh Seamless Tube Company. The station was at GPS: 40.785911, -80.333791.
New Brighton I believe the first station here was on the east corner of 5th Avenue and 14th Street (formerly Pearl Street) before the main line was moved down by the river. See 1876 Beave County Atlas for this depot's location.
New Brighton  
New Galilee According to the 1876 map, the first station here was on the north side of Monroe Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 40.835015,-80.402198).
New Galilee
Remington This station was between Baden and Conway.
Rochester The original passenger station here was on the north side of the tracks below where PA51 is today at GPS: 40.699355, -80.278447. The station was made of brick. Although this station still appears on the 1898 map, it is marked "to be removed." The original brick freight station was across the tracks at GPS: 40.699111, -80.278495 as shown on the 1884 map. That brick freight station was replaced by a frame freight station between 1884-1898 at the same location. Both the original passenger and second freight station were gone by the time of the 1903 map where a new passenger and freight station appear (see listings below).
Rochester The station was below Pleasant Avenue and PA51 at GPS: 40.699678, -80.281916. It was built around 1897.
Rochester There was a frame freight station on the north side of the tracks on a couple of siding tracks. It would have been where PA51 is now at approximately GPS: 40.699479, -80.277301. It was built around 1898.
Smiths Ferry
South Heights
(Shannopin)
 
Vanport  
West Bridgewater The station was at the foot of Mulberry Street near West Bridgewater Steel. The station is shown on the 1899 and 1904 maps.
West Economy  
West Ellwood Junction  
1895 BEAVER COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
 
Notes About Existing Stations...

Aliquippa (West Aliquippa) (P&LE) - This station is shown on the 1912 Sanborn map of Aliquippa. There was a tunnel under the tracks that led from 3rd Street near the freight house for access to the passenger station.

Darlington (NYP&C) - The New York, Pittsburgh & Chicago (NYP&C) was the predecessor to the Pittsburgh, Lisbon & Western (absorbed by the Youngstown & Southern in 1945). Despite its name the railroad only went from Pittsburgh to Youngstown, OH. This is the former Greersburg Academy building. The town was originally called Greersburg but there was too much confusion with Greensburg, with mail being delivered to the wrong place, so they renamed it Darlington. In 1853 the Darlington Cannel Coal Railroad (later NYP&C) laid tracks within six feet of the Academy. In In 1883, the Academy building was sold to to the Pittsburgh, Marion and Chicago Railroad Company (later NYP&C). The building was renovated to become a railroad station as four passenger trains a day shuttled the nine miles between Rogers and New Galilee. This is one of the oldest building to ever be used as a RR station and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was retired from RR use in 1972 and subsequently became a historical landmark.

Monaca (P&LE) - This was the original station here. It was originally on the east side of 6th Street. Now used by the Beaver County Model RR Club and covered with faux-brick siding. This station was still in service as of 1904, but had been replaced by the new station by 1914.