ARMSTRONG  COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Dayton Railroad Avenue at North Poplar Street
(GPS: 40.882242,-79.244326)
P Storage ???? In Use Wood  
Kittanning North Grant Street at Vine Street
(GPS: 40.818675,-79.520183)
P Storage ???? Gone Brick  
Kittanning   River Road on west side of old Kittanning bridge. P Civic ???? In Use Brick  
Kittanning River Road on west side of old Kittanning bridge. F ???? ???? In Use Wood  
Leechburg   2nd Street at River Street C Railroad 1887 Gone Brick  
Schenley 48 Railroad Street P Railroad 1998 In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
AvonmorE Station The passenger station was across the river from Avonmore in Armstrong County in what was then called North Avonmore. The location was at the end of the present bridge where the road is now. During the early 1950s the tracks were realigned all the way from Blairsville to Salina during the construction of Conemaugh Dam. The old road bed is the current road to the coal loading facility owned by Rosebud Coal. There was a freight station in the borough of Avonmore but no passenger station. The borough of Avonmore was accessed by a spur.
Brady's Bend  
Colwell Station
Cowan
Cowanshannock  
Dewey  
Donely's Station This was along the line just northeast of where Donely's Island is.
East Mosgrove
ECHO  
Freeport This station was also known as Buffalo Station (it's called that on the 1876 map). It was on the south side of Buffalo Street on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.676301,-79.6913). The name "Buffalo Station" implies that there was more than one station here, but it is the only one shown on the 1876 Freeport map.
Ford City  
Kaylor The WA was later part of the B&LE.
Kelly's Station  
Kittanning The first station here was at the same location as the existing station.
Leechburg
(W. Leechburg)
  The second passenger station for Leechburg, was actually located across the Kiski River from Leechburg, in West Leechburg, Westmoreland County. The station was called Leechburg by PRR and was reached by the bridge that is shown in the picture. The foundation concrete and brick walks are still visible. The specific location was Bridge Street, West Leechburg. This station was built around 1904 after a flood destroyed the RR bridge at the eastern end of Leechburg, thus cutting off the town and its original 1887 station (which is still standing).
Logansport  
Mahoning In 1876 the hotel and depot were in the same building.
Manorville  
Mosgrove
(Brattonville)
 
Parker City W.H. Spain was the agent here in 1876. The station was on the south side of 4th Street on the west side of the tracks. This station may have served the Parker & Karns City narrow gague line (later part of the Pittsburgh & Western) as well. Not sure what this street is called today or if it even exists anymore where the depot was. 
Peart's Eddy  
Pine Creek Station This station was just north of Mosgrove and is shown on the 1876 map.
Rimerton   Station was torn down during WWII.
Rosston  
Schenleys Station A. Tripp was the station agent here in 1876.
Templeton  
White Rock This station was between Kelly's Station and Donely's Station near the White Rock ferry. It is shown on the 1876 county map.
1895 ARMSTRONG COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Schenley (Kiski Junction RR) - Built on the site of the old PRR station.