|Apple Creek||Mill Street at Lance Street
|Fredericksburg||80 yards due north from the intersection of West Clay Street and Water Street||C||Storage||????||Gone||Block|
|145 Depot Street||P||Museum||1868||In Use||Brick|
|Orrville||Corner of McGill and Pine Streets||F||Storgae||????||In Use||Brick|
|Overton||Corner of Mechanicsburg and Winkler Roads.||C||Farm Use||????||Gone||Wood|
|Rittman||West side of South Main Street between Sterling and Front||C||Railroad||1891||In Use||Wood|
|Rittman||Intersection of Seneca, Grant, and Ohio Streets.
|Smithville||Main & North Milton Streets
|Sterling||At "Rails to Trails" site west of Kauffman Avenue and next to the CSX tracks.||F||Storage||????||Gone||Wood|
|Wooster||Columbus Avenue at Vanover Street
|STATIONS OF THE PAST|
|Apple Creek||The station that still stands in Apple Creek may be this
same building, but heavily modified. The PRR ordered heavy modifications
of the stations on this line in the 1950s. There were originally both
passenger and freight stations next to each other on Depot Street (now
Maple Street) at Cross Street (GPS: 40.749122,-81.834755). According to the Evening Independent of July 27, 1965, the first depot here was built in 1852 by the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon & Columbus Railroad near where the tracks crossed Apple Creek.
Some field work is need on the ground in Apple Creek to detangle the depot situation there. Are the stations pictured the same or different buildings? Do one or both (if there were two) still stand?
The other building that is reportedly the station is in an alley behind the house at 190 Main Street. That building is at GPS: 40.746757, -81.834502. Can someone get a photo of that building and find out more info?
|Armstrong||This station was built in 1888 (according to the B&O Annual Report of that year).|
|Burbank||This station was on Depot Road. Technically it was probably over the line in Medina County although most of the town is in Wayne County.|
|This station sat on the west side of Mt. Eaton Road north of Market Street. It was on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.844979,-81.703531).|
|This station was on the SE corner of Mt. Eaton Road and Burton City Road (GPS: 40.843696,-81.703117).|
|Creston||This station was on Hay Street east of Brooklyn Street on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.98449,-81.892465). According to Sanborn Fire maps, this station was gone by 1930.|
|The Erie and W&LE shared this station southeast of the intersection of Brooklyn Avenue and Erie Street near Onion Street (GPS: 40.982555,-81.892304). There was a shared freight house to the east and the old Morehead Hotel sat to the west with the interlocking tower between the two.|
|Dalton||This station was NE of the intersection of East Schultz Avenue and North Cochran Street (GPS: 40.800528,-81.687346).|
|Easton||This was the first Easton station, built in the early 1880s. It was on the old main line located on the south bend of what is now called Harvey Circle (GPS: 40.948043,-81.739896).|
|EASTON||This was built later (compared to the above) by the B&O. It was probably built when the line was moved to the other side of town (although both stations are shown on the 1897 map). It was on the NE side of Cleveland Street just east of SR-94 on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.955046,-81.736463).|
|Fredericksburg||This station was about 80 yards north of the intersection of Clay Street and Water Street on the west side of the tracks. This is probably the building that still exists there (as of 2009) with heavy modifications made by the PRR in later years.|
|Marshallville||Both the passenger and freight stations sat on the bend in Euclid Street south of Market Street.|
|Orrville||The passenger station was located near the intersection of Chestnut and McGill Streets. It was on the north side of the tracks on the east side of McGill. This location is an empty lot as of 2009.|
|Orrville||The freight station was at the end of West Chestnut Street (the part that is unpaved). This location is an empty lot as of 2009.|
|orrville||The CA&C had a freight house NW across the tracks from the passenger station.|
|Orrville||A frame station predated the 1868 station. It was on Main Street and was destroyed by fire in 1867.|
|Rittman||The first station on this line was located at the corner of Main and Elliot Streets. After the new passenger station was built in 1913, this station served as the freight-only depot for a few years, but was gone by 1924. This station sat on what is now part of Erie Street.|
|Shreve||This station was located on the west side of Market Street between Jones and Robinson Streets (GPS: 40.682705,-82.022493). It built sometime prior to 1892, and was torn down around 1963 with the bricks used as fill for a southern extension of Market Street.|
|Smithville Station||Also known as Smithfield Station.|
|A NYP&O-designed, v-shaped union station sat on the south side of Atlantic Street east of Lake Street (GPS: 40.970198,-81.847943). This station was still visible on maps from 1908.|
|Sterling||According to the 1897 map the B&O had a station on the west side of Kauffman Avenue on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 40.971178,-81.851074).|
|This station was a standard B&O design. It was built in the early 1900s and sat at the same location as the NYP&O/CL&W station listed above (GPS: 40.970198,-81.847943).|
|West Salem||This station was on what was formerly known as Depot Street. This location is now known as Centennial Street. The station was at the south of the end of 2nd Street toward 3rd Street (which is now gone).|
|Wooster||Photo is from the late 1970s. This station was on the east side of the intersection of Spink Street, East Liberty Street and Pitsburgh Avenue (GPS: 40.799372,-81.931778). The freight station was to the SW across Pittsburgh Avenue on the south side of East Liberty Street (GPS: 40.798875,-81.932881).|
|Wooster||A freight house was built here in 1888 (according to the B&O Annual Report of that year). Does anyone know where this was located?|
|1898 WAYNE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP|
|Notes About Existing
Apple Creek (PRR) - This may be the original CA&C station after undergoing the heavy modification program that the PRR performed on old CA&C structures in later years. The sign is on this building and it has what looks to be the same Insulbrick siding. Or, this may have been a later PRR station or the freight station. Or, it may just be an unrelated building that the sign and siding was placed on. See Killbuck (Holmes Co.) and Sunbury (Delaware Co.) as other examples of modified PRR stations. Other reports say that this building is not the station, but that it was moved to another location and now looks like a barn. More research is needed to verify the fate of this/these station(s). Also see the listing below in the "Stations Of The Past" section.
Fredericksburg (PRR) - Building is block but covered with shingling. Sits about 200 yards off Clay St. behind old feed mill. Old CA&C milepost nearby. This may be a part of the original station as maps from 1897 show the original station at this same location. It looks like it underwent the extreme PRR makeover of removing most of its distinguishing features and was then chopped into a smaller piece. Either that or this was a later PRR station.
Orrville (PFt.W&C and CA&C) - Home of the Orrville Railroad Heritage Society. The new W&LE bought these tracks from Norfolk Southern back in the early 90's, when the new W&LE was established. See OrrvilleRailroad.com for more information.
Orrville (PFt.W&C Frieght) - When the railroad abandoned the freight station, most likely in the 1950's, it was connected to the Orrville Body Company building (now a storage/manufacturing facility for the Wilburt company). The windows are the same shape as the union depot.
Smithville (W&LE) - Moved here from the tracks in the late 1970s. The original location was ont he south side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 40.868292,-81.851181).
Sterling (CL&W) - The station was moved in 2010 to its current location. The station sat for many years behind a warehouse at Kauffman and Chestnut Streets (GPS: 40.967458,-81.846393). Maps from 1897 and 1908 show a B&O passenger or freight station located on the west side of Kauffman Street just south of Atlantic Avenue (to the NW of where the old passenger station sat).