ROSS COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bainbridge In Orient (Pickaway Co.) at Green's Museum at 10530 Thrailkill Road.
(GPS: 39.780791,-83.11985)

C Museum ???? None Wood  
Delano SE corner of Buckeye Street and Piatt Avenue in Chillicothe.
(GPS: 39.347874,-82.999888)
C Residence ???? None Wood
Fruitdale 1385 Moxley Road C Residence ???? Gone Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adelphi Marietta
Hocking &
Northern
Not sure if this line had passenger service or stations.
Anderson Thomas Anderson, a farmer and grocer, was the station agent here in 1875.
Austin  
Chillicothe There was a freight station on Main Street to the east of the passenger station.
Chillicothe This station was located on the west side of South Paint Street near 11th Street.
Chillicothe Prior to the freight station listed above which was built in 1910, the N&W used the old Scioto Valley freight station which was on Sugar St. across the tracks from the 1910 station. That old station must have been torn down around the time the new station was built as it is not on Sanborn maps from 1914.
Chillicothe This freight station was built in 1910 and was located on East 2nd Street between
McArthur and Sugar. It burned in 2006 with the remnants demolished a few months later.
Chillicothe
AND
This station was located at 404 East Main Street (South Sugar between Main and Fourth Streets)
(GPS: 39.334521,-82.96978). It was built in 1871 at a cost of $20,000. The original building was added onto on four occasions; mostly brick with some frame. In its heyday, the station featured a full dining room and lunch counter. The station burned down in the early morning hours of February 8, 2011. Arson is suspected.
Frankfort  
Hallsville Marietta
Hocking &
Northern
Not sure if this line had passenger service or stations.
Harper The earliest station here probably sat on land owned by Caleb Harper, a farmer. It was originally referred to as Harper's Station (see 1875 maps).
Harris Station  
Higbys Razed October 1, 1936
Kingston This station sat on Railroad Street (formerly Bell St.) just north of 3rd Street. May have also served the Marietta Hocking & Northern RR which ran from Kingston to Adelphi in Pickaway Co.
Kingston Marietta
Hocking &
Northern
Not sure if this line had passenger service or stations.
Kinnickinnick  
Lyndon  
Musselman  
Musselman  
Richmondale  
Roxabell M.J. Timmons was the station agent here in 1875.
Rupels  
Schooleys  
Slate Mills  
Summithill
(Summit)
 
Thrifton  
Thrifton  
Vauces  
Vigo
(Londonderry)
Photo is from 1884. On maps from 1875, this was called Londonderry Station as the depot was most likely first located on the property of David and David Londonderry.
Vigo
West Junction
AND
 
1898 ROSS COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Delano (SV) - The original location of this station was where Delano Road crosses the tracks. It was probably moved into Chillicothe in the 1950s.

Fruitdale (Ohio Southern) - The building was there prior to the RR, but served as a station in later years. It has hand cut stone foundation, a hand cut oak frame, a spring house and three secret stairways. Over the years it also served as a post office, general store, hotel, speakeasy, and gentlemen's club.