PORTAGE COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Aurora 13 New Hudson Road
(GPS: 41.316787,-81.333286)
P Business ???? Aband Wood  
Diamond
(Palmyra)
South side of Tallmadge Road (CR 18) at Universal Drive
(GPS: 41.098566,-81.02233)
P Vacant ???? Gone Wood  
Kent North side of Stow Street
(GPS: 41.150455,-81.361383)
P Railroad 1905 In Use Wood  
Kent 849 West Main Street
(GPS: 41.153415, -81.373412)
P Business 1881 In Use Wood
Kent 152 Franklin Avenue
(GPS: 41.15296,-81.359229)
P Business 1875 In Use Brick
Mantua 10636 Main Street
(GPS: 41.281286,-81.223981)
C Business 1872 Gone Wood
Mogadore 87 South Cleveland Avenue, near Gencorp Plant P Society 1905 None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Atwater The station was at the north end of Depot Street on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.024743,-81.164203).
Brimfield This station was on the south side of Tallmadge Road (CR-18) on the west side of the tracks (GPS: 41.100052,-81.370465).
DeerfielD Station
Earlville The illustration is from a Portage County atlas from 1874 showing the first station at Earlville. The engine in the illustration reads "A&KJ RR" (The C&P began trains through the area in 1851). This station probably sat in the vicinity of the Rusty Nail Restaurant and SR-43.
Earlville The later C&P station sat on the east side of SR-43 (in the gully between SR-43 and Diagonal Road).
Freedom Station This depot was on the north side of the tracks on the east side of Freedom Road near Nichols Road (GPS: 41.20546,-81.147506).
Garretsville This station was on the south side of the tracks on the northwest side of Freedom Street (GPS: 41.282009,-81.101562).
Garretsville The freight station, which was located on the north side of the tracks off Freedom Street (GPS: 41.282191,-81.101603), was sold at auction in the summer of 2009 and was dismantled. The dismantled building is now for sale and it may be rebuilt at another location in the future.
Hiram
(Jeddo Station)
This station was on the east side of Burton-Limaville Road (SR-700) on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 41.277071,-81.144773). Hiram Station was also known as Caton P.O. This station burned around the turn of the 20th century and thereafter the Garrettsville station was the stop for "the home of Hiram College."
Kent The freight station sat just to the south of the passenger station along Franklin Ave.. 
Kent Before the B&O built the existing passenger station in 1905, the P&W had a small passenger station on the east bank of the Cuyahoga river just south of the Main Street bridge. This station sat "below" and just to the north of the Erie station and overlooked the dam. Old maps show a staircase leading down to the station from the Main Street bridge. Judging from the photo, this station may have been a recycled boxcar or caboose.
Kent
Kent
Mahoning This station was on the west side of Windham-Parkman Road on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.262134,-81.049334). There was a station here as early as 1874 when the line was the Cleveland & Mahoning Railway.
Mishler This station was on Mishler Road (County Highway 4) north of Manning Road. It was where Mishler road curves from north to northwest. The station was on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.999929,-81.361384). There was a pickle factory, elevator and school near this location at one time, but all is gone now as the area is residential/rural.
Mogadore The original W&LE station here was demolished by a derailed freight train on May 11, 1905 at 5:30 a.m. when a broken wheel flange caused 13 cars to pile up at the depot. The station agent narrowly escaped injury (Akron Beacon Journal, May 11, 1905)
Moran
(Streetsboro)
May have been built by the Connotton Valley Railway. This location was also known as Jesse. The station was ont he south side of Aurora-Hudson Road on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 41.263372,-81.389696).
North Benton Station North Benton Station was just north of North Benton in Portage County.
Ravenna This combination station was on the east side of South Chestnut Street south of Hazen Street. It was on the north side of the main line. It burned down in 1952.
Ravenna Built in the mid 1860s, this station was on the SW side of Cleveland Road near the intersection with Lincoln Avenue. A freight house was diagonally east across the tracks on a siding. By the 1940s the freight station was used by the Farm Bureau Cooperative.
Ravenna The passenger station was about 250 feet north of Main Street, west of North Sycamore Street. The freight station was about 150 feet NW of the passenger station. The passenger station was built in 1886 and the freight station around the same time. Before that, there was a single frame combination station at this same location.
Rootstown
(NEW MILFORD)
The "Rootstown" PRR station was actually in New Milford. It was on the east side of Hattrick Road on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 41.104965,-81.213942).
Suffield  
Wayland
(Newport)
This station was on the old main line. It was on the west side of Wayland Road on the north side of the tracks (GPS: 41.160648,-81.071449). Wayland has also been known as "Cyclone," "Newport," and "Parisville" at various points in history.
Windham The station was on the east side of Main Street on the north side of the tracks (just south of where the high school is today) (GPS: 41.231037,-81.048777).
1898 PORTAGE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Kent (CC&S) - Station was moved in July, 2014 from its original location on the south side of Main Street diagonally across the tracks to the property of Components & Equipment International, Inc. at 849 West Main Street. 

Kent (A&GW) - Restored in 1976.

Mantua (A&GW) - "The Erie Railroad came through in 1855 and the depot was built in 1872." --Portage Heritage by James B. Holm (1957, Portage County Historical Society)

Mogadore (W&LE) - This station is technically in Portage County as the county line is Cleveland Avenue. It was moved from its original location on the east side of North Cleveland Avenue at the W&LE crossing. A train derailed and hit the building in 1912. Here are a couple more photos.