MARION COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Marion North side of West Center Street between Park Boulevard and Davids Street
(GPS: 40.589439,-83.1408)
P Club 1902 In Use Brick
Marion North side of West Center Street between Park Boulevard and Davids Street. Adjacent to passenger station.
(GPS: 40.589236,-83.140484)
F Club ???? In Use Brick
Prospect Golf Village at Central Park, on Science Boulevar/Tech Center Drive in Gahanna, Franklin County
(GPS: 39.996693,-82.844735)
C Business 1902 None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Bryan
Station
This early station is shown on the 1878 map of the county. This was located just south of the intersection of SR-203 (Prospect-Upper Sandusky Road) and SR-95 in Big Island Township (GPS: 40.585946,-83.21745).
Caledonia
AND
This station was between the Erie and Big 4 tracks on the west side of the Water Street crossing (GPS: 40.637518,-82.967822). It served both railroads and appears on maps as early as 1878 (when the railroads were the A&GW and CCC&I).
green camp This is Green Camp's first station. It was located at the NW end of Erie Street on the SE side of the tracks (GPS: 40.53356,-83.210878).
Green camp A second station was built here to replace the earlier depot (see above) in 1913.
GURLEY Station This early station is shown on the 1878 map of the county. This was located just south of the intersection of Espyville Road and SR-95 in Big Island Township (GPS: 40.585962,-83.255575).
La Rue This station sat on the north side of the tracks between Front and High Streets north of Vine Street. It is shown on maps from 1878.
Marion This station was located about 500 feet east of the interesection of Hocking and Edwards Streets (GPS: 40.589731,-83.142305). The C&A was a narrow-gague later owned by the Erie RR. The Erie RR converted the line to standard gague in 1881. The "C&A Hotel & Eating House" was on the east side of the station. This station survived into Erie days, so the Erie had two passenger stations in town before Union Depot was built. After Union Depot was built this station served as a railroad office (is is shown as such on the 1919 map, but was gone by 1929).
Marion The passenger station was on the south side of the tracks between east Huber Street and East Quarry Street about 200 feet east of North State Street (GPS: 40.590525,-83.126571). The freight station was on the north side of the tracks (GPS:40.590684,-83.126593). The "NYP&O House" hotel was just to the west of the freight station.
Marion This station was north of West Center Street just a few feet south of where Marion Union Station is today (GPS: 40.589022,-83.140674).
Marion The freight station was on the south side of West Center Street on the east side of a siding track that ended at Center Street (GPS: 40.588378,-83.140379).
Marion The passenger station was on the north side of the tracks on East Huber Street about 200 feet east of North State Street (GPS: 40.590277,-83.126378). The "Big 4 Hotel" was just to the west of the passenger station.The freight station, which was 100 feet long, was to the east on Huber Street just west of Vine Street (GPS: 40.590285,-83.124838). There was likely an earlier frame CCC&I station at this same location.
Marion There was an express station loacted to the east of the Union Depot Hotel at GPS: 40.589539,-83.139553.
Marion A passenger car without wheels/trucks called "Jim" Fisk's private car" was used as the station at some point before Union Station was built in 1902. The wheels were separated from the chassis and the car was lowered into place. The 1907 Marion County History says that the station so offended city leaders, including Marion Star owner Warren G. Harding, that they began the drive for a Union Station fit for a major city. --Stu Koblentz
Marion There was a freight house on the south side of West Center Street between Kenton and Cayuga Streets (GPS: 40.58813,-83.144193).
MArion This CS&H (later PRR) passenger station was on the north side of West Center Street on the east side of the tracks (GPS: 40.589111,-83.139853).
Marion The freight station was on Park Boulevard between Chruch and West Center Streets (GPS: 40.587804,-83.139816).
Martel

This union station sat at the single track crossing of the T&OC with the shared double-track line of the CCC&St. and Erie.
Morral The station burned in the late 1970's and was torn down by 1983, if not sooner.
New Bloomington In 1878 this station was on the west side of Carey Street on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 40.585816,-83.313725).
Owens  
Prospect There was a frame station here prior to 1902 that was built by predecessor line Columbus & Toledo in 1876. It was off Railroad Street between Water Street and Park Avenue. This original station was located on the east side of the tracks.
Waldo This station was on the north side of Main Street, on the east side of the tracks.
White Oaks Farm This station, which sat on sanitarium grounds on White Oaks Road, was built by Sawyer's Sanitarium. The sanitarium also had its own siding.
1898 MARION COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Marion (Union) - All three railroads pass within 50 feet of this "Union" Station.   The old waiting room is currently open M-F 10-2 for rail fans.  The tracks to the north are now CR, they were originally Erie/ EL and NYC. The tracks to the east are now NS. They were PRR until 1964, then N&W and NS. The tracks to the west are CSX, former C&O/Chessie. All three railroads currently have 2 tracks at the station. It is quite a spot for rail fans, with nearly 100 trains passing every 24 hours (CSX 30, NS 27, CR 25 plus locals). During its active years the station was operated and maintained by the CHV&T (C&O). Note that the brick building nearby on the corner of Park and West Center is not a PRR freight station as some have claimed. It was originally build by the Marion Steam Shovel Company and later served as a PRR freight office, but was never a station.

Marion (Union, Frieght) - The freight section of the station was built sometime after 1914 (as it is not shown on that year's map with the rest of the station, but it is shown on the 1919 map). At various times this served as an express station and mail station.

Prospect (CHV&T) - This station is now at its third location. The original location was on Railroad Street between Water Street and Park Avenue in Prospect. This station was located on the west side of the tracks (built across the tracks from the original Prospect CHV&T frame station). It was then moved one mile from original location in 1973 to the north side of West Center Street between Park Boulevard and Davids Street (actual address was 300 Market Street) (GPS: 40.589439,-83.1408). It served as a restaurant until that closed in 2008. It was moved to its current location in Gahanna in April 2011.