JEFFERSON COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Dillonvale York Street (Township Road 1201)
(GPS: 40.203749,-80.772142)
P Storage ???? Aband. Wood
Weems
(Smithfield Station)
CR 25 (Weems Road)
(GPS: 40.286896,-80.753701)
P Vacant ???? In Use Brick/
Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Adena The W&LE had a freight station and passenger station off Mill Street. Adena Mills was nearby just to the southwest.
Amsterdam LEA&W = Lake Erie, Alliance & Wheeling. Was privately owned from 1958-2002. Torn down after roof collapsed in Nov. 2002.
Bergholz Was located on 2nd street. Torn down in summer of 2000 to make way for a mini-mart. When NYC closed it in 1958, local resident and businessman produced a deed which his grandfather executed with railroad in 1882 which said, that when passenger service ends, property reverts to the family. As passenger service ended in 1941, the family did not exercise ownership rights until depot finally closed for freight in 1958. The family was successful in it's revisionary efforts with NYC and took possession of property and depot in 1959. Soon after, the new owners gutted the wood frame depot removing all wall partitions and ceiling and used the shell of depot for their company's (Allen Box co.) storage of pallets. This was discontinued in late 60's or early 70's and the depot laid idle into the 80, into 90's when the depot/property was purchased by new mini mart being constructed nearby, as the new mart needed property for septic tank installation. Thus, depot/lot was sold/purchased for several thousand dollars in 2000, depot torn down (lot of the lumber was salvaged) and Daily's mini-mart installed septic tanks on depot lot. -Tom Barnett (2002)
Brilliant
(LaGrange)
This station sat about 250' north of where Ross Street crossed the tracks. Town was formerly known as LaGrange and Philipsburg. (GPS: 40.270964,-80.61995)
Brilliant
(Lagrange)
The W&LE passenger and freight stations were about 300 yards to the east of the PRR station (across market St.) and sat down by the river. (GPS: 40.270693,-80.618432)
Dillonvale This was the original station on the Wheeling & Lake Erie and sat on the northwest corner of where Main Street crossed the tracks. The "newer" Dillonvale station (see bleow) was built in 1905. They were located across the tracks from each other. The two story wood station was torn down around 1910 and replaced with a large one story freight station.
Dillonvale Built in 1905, this building served as offices and passenger station for the W&LE and the W&LE Coal Company. It was torn down in 1985. It sat on the southwest corner of where Main Street crossed the tracks. The station served both Dillonvale and Mt. Pleasant.
Elliotsville This location was 1.25 miles north of Toronto, between Toronto and Freemans Station. There may have been a depot here to serve the American Sewer Pipe Company.
Empire
(McCoys Station)
The first station here was on the west side of Wheatley Streey, just north of Main Street. The town was known as McCoy's Station in the early years. (GPS: 40.508203,-80.62465)
Empire The second station was built just to the north of the original station. It was on Wheatley Street just north of Market Street on the west side of the tracks. (GPS: 40.508473,-80.624939)
Fairplay  
Freemans Station This station was 1.75 miles north of Toronto on the west side of the county road (7-F). It was just south of the Freeman Fire Clay Company and was most likely primarily used for employees of that operation. This station is shown on Sanborn maps of Toronto as late as 1903.
Hammondsville The station was about where Main Street crosses the tracks. It sat on the east side of the tracks. The station may have been demolished when Main Street was straightened (it used to jog a bit more to the north on the west side of the bridge over the creek). The station was either in, or next to, W.H. Wallace & Sons Dry Goods, which served as the ticket agent and post office in the 1870s. (GPS: 40.5573,-80.70658)
Irondale
Jeddo  
Jeffersonville
AND
Not sure if this town had two stations originally or a shared station. This town is now the southern part of Steubenville.
Mingo Junction
AND
This station sat between the C&P and PCC&St.L tracks directly behind 618 Commercial Avenue near the McLister Avenue intersection. The freight station was to the south.
Mingo Junction The W&LE stations sat at 446 (freight) and 447 (passenger) Cleveland Avenue near the the intersection with Carbon Avenue just south of Wheeling Steel.
Port Homer A station is shown at this location in 1871.
Rayland
(Portland Depot)
The first station here was on the SE corner of Main (SR-150) and Church Street. This station is shown on maps from 1871 when the town was known as Portland Depot. (GPS: 40.187769,-80.689637)
Rayland The second generation station was on the NE corner of Cleveland Avenue/Church Street and SR-150. (GPS: 40.188101,-80.68947)
Rush Run  
Skellys Station
(CResswell)
 
SloanEs Station This town was on the southern border of Knox Township. It is now part of Toronto. In 1853 the pioneer pottery of Carlyle & McFadden was founded. And in 1856 the Cleveland & Pittsburg Railroad came to the village which was originally known as Newberg. Because the railroad already had a station called Newburg on its line near Cleveland, this one was given the name Sloane's Station after William Sloane who was liberal in granting a right of way for the railroad. In 1880 there were still only 500 people in the village but it had already spread beyond its original boundaries. The first C&P station here was on the south side of Henry Street, on the west side of the tracks. It is shown on maps from 1871 when the town was known as Sloane's Station. (GPS: 40.463564,-80.602167)
Steubenville The first passenger station was the second building south of the SW corner of Washington and 6th Streets. It was most likely a converted store or house as the building sat perpendicular to the tracks with frontage on North 6th Street with a platform in the rear of the building along the tracks. This station is shown on maps from 1871 and was demolished when the new station was built in 1879 and maps then show a park area there on the site of the new station. (GPS: 40.362283,-80.617021)
Steubenville The first PCC&St.L freight house was north of the passenger station. It was on the north side of Washington Street, on the east side of the tracks (across from the roundhouse and repair shops). This freight station is shown on maps from 1871. (GPS: 40.362798,-80.616893)
Steubenville This second generation passenger station was built in 1879. According to Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, this station sat on North 6th Street between Market and Washington Streets. Surprisingly this station was moved (around 1911) to a new location nearby when the newer station (listed below) was built by the PRR. The photos show the station in its original location and being moved. (GPS: 40.36185,-80.617343)
Steubenville The third generation station on the PCC&St.L line was constructed by the PRR which built a larger station at the same location as the station listed above.Sanborn maps show a larger station building there with the date built as 1911 listed. This new station includeda tunnel under the tracks with stairs or an elevator to a platform with a canopy between the tracks. (GPS: 40.36185,-80.617343)
Steubenville A second generation freight house was constructed just north of the original freight house at the corner of 6th and North Streets probably around 1879 when the second passenger station was built. (GPS: 40.363542,-80.616603)
Steubenville The first C&P River Division passenger station was next to Brinkman's Hotel at the corner of Market and North Water Streets
Steubenville An early C&P freight house was east of the corner of Slack and High Streets (east of the curve in Dean martin Boulevard). It was on the east side of the tracks. (GPS: 40.354058,-80.61318)
Steubenville Sat at 105 North Water Street along the C&P tracks. Was built around 1911 when the PRR bought the line. Passenger traffic ended at this station in 1970.
Steubenville The W&LE passenger station sat behind Mosgrove's New U.S. Hotel at the corner of Market and North High Streets (now Dean Martin Boulevard). (GPS: 40.359904,-80.612419)
Steubenville The W&LE freight house was off South High Street between Adams and Market Streets.
Tiltonsville  
Toronto
(SloanEs Station)
See entry for Sloanes Station above.
Toronto According to the 1903 Sanborn Fire Insurance map, the second generation station sat on the north side of Clark Street just east of 5th Street on the west side of the tracks. It was across the street from the Toronto Steam Laundry and diagonally northwest of the Hotel Windsor. The station was a combination station with passenger and freight buildings joined together. (GPS: 40.466735,-80.601931)
Unionport The first station here was a combination depot/post office on the east side of SR-39, on the north side of the tracks. This station is shown on maps from 1871. (GPS: 40.358301,-80.84936)
Warrenton This station was located just to the SW of the exit off SR-7 onto Old SR-7. The Rayland C&P station can be seen in the background (to the right of the foreground station) of this photo as it was located just across Short Creek to the south. (GPS: 40.190291,-80.686314)
Warrenton In later years, after the station was gone, an old W&LE business car served as the station here.
Yellow Creek
(Linton)
 
Yorkville This station sat along 4th Street between Garden Avenue and County Road 2. It was two blocks north of the Belmont County line. It was torn down in the mid-1970s.
Yorkville This station was across the tracks from the W&LE station along the C&P.
1898 JEFFERSON COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Dillonvale (LEA&W) - This Lake Erie, Alliance & Wheeling (later LS&MS then NYC) station has been under private ownership since the late 1950s.

Weems (P&WV) - Also known as Smithfield Station and Holmes Mills prior to that.