CUYAHOGA COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Bedford On Town Square between North Park and South Park Streets. C Civic 1882 In Use Wood
Berea 30 Depot Street P Business ???? In Use Brick
Berea Mill Street near the mouth of Orchard Street, 1 block west of Columbia Road/SR252, Olmsted Falls C Museum 1895 None Wood
Bay Village Huntington Park off US 6 C Business 1882 None Wood
Brecksville 721 West Highland Road, Sagamore Hills F Barn ???? None Wood
Chagrin
Falls
Geauga County Fairgrounds F Business 1870 Gone Wood
Cleveland Public Square P Offices/Mall 1927 In Use Brick
Cleveland 829 Canal Road in the Flats. P Vacant 1898 Gone Brick
Cleveland West side of Lee Road south of Miles Avenue.
(GPS: 41.439485,-81.566057)
P Vacant 1948 In Use Brick
Cleveland 2769 Commercial Road F Warehouse ???? ???? ????
Cleveland 200 East Memorial Parkway
(GPS: 41.499495,-81.695409)
P Railroad ???? In Use Brick  
CLEVELAND
(Glenville)
9920 Foster Avenue, Bratenahl. South side of Foster Avenue east of Garfield Lane (5th house from the corner). C Residence ???? None Wood
Falls Junction Pettibone Road P Society 1883 In Use Wood
Falls Junction Pettibone Road adjacent to older W&LE depot F Railroad ???? In Use Metal
Jaite
(Vaughn's Siding)
Riverview & Highland P Park ???? In Use Wood  
Olmsted Falls 25802 Garfield Road C Civic 1876 In Use Wood
Rocky River Depot Street P Railroad ???? In Use Wood  
Solon 33200 Bainbridge Road P Business 1882 Aband. Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Bedford This combination station was just to the west of the existing Connotton Valley (W&LE) station at the corner of North Park and Willis Streets. A station is shown on maps as early as 1874.
Berea There was a freight station across the tracks from the passenger station. This may have been the original frame station here. It was standing until at least the late 1940s or later.
Brecksville
(Chaffee)
Brooklyn The Brooklyn B&O station was on the south side of Harvard Avenue just east of Jennings Road. It was on the west side of the tracks.
Brooklyn
(S. Brooklyn)
This station was on the west side of Pearl Road just north of Brookside Park Drive. The station was on the south side of the tracks and sat between the trestle and where the Pearl Road overpass is today.
Chagrin
Falls
This station was at 165 East Washington Street. It was torn down around 2010-11 after housing a printing business for several years prior.
Note: For the cleveland stations below, the more obscure predecessor railroads are listed with their more commonly known "modern" names (in parentheses) after mergers and acquisitions.
Cleveland The first Union Station was built sometime between 1851-53 and sat along the lake at the northern end of what is now W. 9th Street. It was a large brick structure with a collection of wooden sheds and it supposedly partially burned in 1864, although the map from 1874 shows the station at the location with the label "Old Depot." The remaining half of the building survived until sometime between 1887-1895. It was located north of and between the 1866 Union Station and Union Freight Depot. On the 1886 map, the reamaing part of this large building is identified as "LS&C and PRR's old passenger depot. Used for housing, cleaning and repairing cars." This station was due north of the intersection of West 10th Street (formerly Spring Street) and Front Avenue on the north side of the tracks. The remaining part of the station is not pictured on the 1895 Sanborn map after having been demolished.
Cleveland This was the second Union station in Cleveland, built in 1866 after the original Union Station burned in 1864. It sat between W. 6th Street (Bank St.) and W. 9th Street (formerly Water St.) at the lakeshore. It lost most of its traffic when Terminal Tower opened in 1930. Throughout it's lifetime the station served the predacessor lines of the CCC&StL, LS&MS, PRR. It served the PRR after that until 1953 and was demolished in 1959.
Cleveland
(BIG 4)
Maps from 1874 show a passenger station at Columbus Avenue and Merwin Road in the Flats. There was also a large freight house to the northwest along Merwin.
Cleveland
(BIG 4)
There was a freight station on the south corner of Scowden and Ohio Streets. These streets are now gone, but the modern location is somewhere in the vicinity of West 3rd Street under the Carnegie Avenue Bridge. This station was later known as the CCC&St.L Central Freight Depot.
Cleveland
(B&O)
Before the 1898 CT&V station was built at 829 Canal Road in the Flats, there was an earlier station at this same loaction built in 1880 by the Valley Railway. This station is referred to as the Seneca Street station.
Cleveland
(B&O)
There was a freight station on the east side of Merwin Street near what is now West Avenue. The station was across the tracks from the old Hughes Brewery (acording to the 1886 map). This station was about a half block WSW of the Valley passenger station. This area is now a parking lot on the north side of West Avenue.
Cleveland
(B&O)
The Valley Railway had a Broadway station that was near where Rockefeller Avenue is today just south of Broadway.
Cleveland
(B&O)
There was a freight house along the west side of West 3rd Street (formerly Seneca Street), about 300-400 feet south of the intersection with Literary Road and Mahoning Avenue. The freight house served a spur that ran parallel to 3rd Street and not the tracks that crossed 3rd just to the north of the station. There was a CL&W turntable and roundhouse about 100 feet due west of the depot. There is a non-descript concrete/steel warehouse-type building or shop at this site today (2010).
Cleveland Built in 1954, this large freight station was used for LCL (less-than-carload) freight, mainly produce. It sat idle for 15-20 years and was finally torn down in 2001. It was located on Columbus Road in the flats.
Cleveland Before the station above was built in 1954, there was a station at the same location on Columbus at Center. It is shown on maps from 1912.
Cleveland There was a freight station at 8222 Broadway Avenue (on the southwest side of the street). This station is shown on maps from the 1950s.
Cleveland Prior to the station listed above, there was a freight station on the NE side of Brodway at the end of a street called Seager (no longer there). There was also a hotel at the end of this street called the Washington House. This station and hotel were both due north of the old C&P passenger station at the end of Brunner Street. It appears on maps as early as 1886.
Cleveland There was a freight station at 4002 West 25th Street.
Cleveland There was a freight station on the NE side of West 3rd Street near where the I-90 bridge crosses overhead. It was on a short spur there. The area is now (2010) a large parking lot.
Cleveland
(W&LE)
The first CV passenger station was opened in 1881 on Commerical Road. Later this building was used as a freight station. According to the 1886 Sanborn maps, there was a small CV station, office, and platform on the east side of Commmercial Road just north of Canal Street. This station would be torn down by the CC&S in the early 1890s and replaced with a brick freight house. A freight house was also added across the street on the west side of Commercial Road (this one is still standing).
Cleveland
(W&LE)
This freight station replaced the original one listed above on the east side of Commercial Road.
Cleveland
(W&LE)
There was a passenger station at the NE end of Jones Street east of Broadway Avenue. The station was on the north side of the street and the west side of the tracks. This station appears on the 1886 maps of the area.
Cleveland
(Miles Avenue)

(W&LE)
There was a station on the south side of Miles Avenue east of 102nd Street. The station was on the east side of the tracks.
Cleveland
(Vinegar Hill)

(W&LE)
The CV built a station on Ontario Street in the Vinegar Hill area in 1883.
Cleveland
(Vinegar Hill)
After the W&LE took over the CV, they replaced the above station with a new one built next door. The station was built in 1909 and located at 2260 Ontario Street at the foot of Vinegar Hill. It was torn down in January, 1929 in order to lay the approach tracks for the new Cleveland Union Terminal.
Cleveland
(Commercial Road)
When the Vinegar Hill depot was torn down in 1929, the W&LE used the Erie station on Old River Road. In 1935 the W&LE built a small station on Commercial Road. It was only in service for three years until passenger service ended.
Cleveland
(Broadway Avenue)
There was a depot on Broadway Avenue just southeast of Union Avenue. It was on a siding on the south side of the main line.
Cleveland This combination freight and passenger station was on the north side of Richmond Avenue at East 93rd Street. It was on the south side of the tracks. This was the first Erie station in this area and the Lee & Miles Road station was built in 1948 to replace the Richmond/East 93rd Street station.
Cleveland
(ERIE)
The first passenger station built by the Erie predacessor companies in Cleveland was on the west side of Scranton Road just north of University Road. It was built in 1865.
Cleveland
(ERIE)
This station was built in 1881 by the NYP&O (later Erie) and was located on Old River Road in the Flats. It was closed as a station in 1949 and was "Shorty's" nightclub in the 1980s.
Cleveland
(ERIE)
In 1886, there were four NYP&O freight houses on the SE side of Scranton Road where it intersects with Carter Road. The first freight house near Carter Road had a head house with offices. The photo shows two of those buildings. 
Cleveland
(ERIE)
There was a freight house on the NE corner of River Road and Elm Street (next to the bridge). This area is now (2010) a parking lot.
Cleveland
(Broadway Avenue)
This was the Broadway Avenue Station. It was opened in 1883 and closed in 1930. It was on the south side of Broadway at East 14th Street. The station was on the north side of the tracks. It was next to the Broadway Freight Terminal.
Cleveland The Broadway Avenue Freight Terminal stretched along Broadway Avenue from East 9th Street SE toward East 14th Street. For a short time until 1930 the Broadway Avenue passenger station sat at the SE end of this terminal. The NYC's Orange Street Freight Terminal was to the SE across Broadway Avenue.
Cleveland
(Euclid Avenue)
Station was at 12107 Euclid Avenue and was removed as part of the Cleveland Union Terminal (CUT) project around 1928-1930. Replaced by CUT and NKP station "East Cleveland" which was located 1 mile east at Superior Avenue.
Cleveland
(East Cleveland)
Built in 1929, this station was on the corner of Superior Avenue (see above) and Euclid Avenue and known as the East Cleveland stop on the NKP.
Cleveland
(East Cleveland)
The NKP used this station on Superior Avenue temporarily while the one listed above was being built. I do not know exactly where it was or if it was built for this purpose or recycled from another use. It appears to have been built previously for another use with a wooden walkway to the tracks added.
Cleveland
(Pearl Street)
This passenger station was on Pearl (West 25th) Street, just north of where Swift Avenue is today and West 25th is carried over the tracks by an overpass. The station was on east side of the street and the north side of the tracks. There was a freight station near here also on the west side of the tracks at the corner of Fillmore and Empress Streets. It was just west of the Swift Meat Storage facility (still standing right next to the West 25th Street viaduct), at what is now the north end of West 27th Street.
Cleveland According to 1886 Sanborn maps, there was an NKP freight house on the north side of Canal Street at the intersection of Cross Street and Third Street. This is now in the vicinity of Commercial Avenue and Minkon Street. The NKP freight station was about 150' NE of the W&LE (CC&S) that is still standing on Commercial Road. This was the NKP freight station for this area before the Broadway Freight Terminal was built.
Cleveland There was a freight station on the west side of East 79th Street between Grand and Woodland Avenues. It was on the south side of the tracks.This was where the East 79th Street RTA stop is today (2010).
Cleveland
(Euclid Avenue)
The first station here was on the southeast cormer of Euclid and Wilson (now E. 55th) Avenues. It is shown on maps from 1868.
Cleveland
(Euclid Avenue)
According to 1886 maps, the C&P "Euclid Avenue Freight Depot" was in fact two blocks north of Euclid Avenue on Perkins Avenue. It was on Perkins between E. 40th (formerly Case Ave.) and E. 55th (Formerly Wilson Ave.) Streets. The station was on the south side of the street on the NE side of the tracks.
Cleveland
(Euclid Avenue)
The PRR replaced the above C&P passenger station in the early 1900s with a larger brick station. It closed 1965.
Cleveland
(Euclid Avenue)
When the new PRR station was built a larger freight house was also built across the tracks from the passenger station to the southeast.
Cleveland
(Harvard Avenue)
This station sat near Harvard and Broadway Avenues in Newburgh. It was built in 1907 and torn down in October 2007 after being vacant for years.

At one time there was a freight house across the tracks along East 86th Street, when the tracks were at street level. That freight station is shown on the 1903 map before the passenger station was built.
Cleveland Before the passenger station above was built at Harvard & Broadway, the C&P had a station just up the tracks to the north at the end of Brunner Avenue. The station was on the west side of the tracks. It was torn down around 1907. A station here was shown as in service as early as 1874.
Cleveland There was a freight station at the corner of Davenport Avenue and East 16th Street. It was on the north side of Davenport.
Cleveland
(Woodland Avenue)
The Woodland Avenue Station was on the SE corner of Woodland and East 79th Street. Across the tracks to the SW in the old days was the "City of Cleveland Workhouse, House of Refuge and Correction." 
Cleveland
(Woodland Avenue)
The Woodland Avenue Freight Station was on the north side of Woodland Avenue on the SE side of the tracks. The foundation of the freight house and the remnants of the small freight yard of spurs are still there but walled off.
Cleveland The PRR Wason Street Freight Depot was on the north side of Hamilton Avenue at East 38th Street.
Cleveland The C&P had inbound and an outbound freight depots on the east bank of the Cuyahoga River near the mouth. These two freight depots were across the tracks to the north of the Union Freight Depot (north of the intersection of Old River Road and Front Avenue). (1887)
Cleveland The C&P also had a freight station north of the inbound and outbound stations listed above. This station occupied the NE corner of at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River and was served by serveral north/south spurs. This station later became known as the PRR Lake Frieght Depot.
Cleveland
(NYC)
AND

(BIG 4)
These two railroads shared the Union Freight Depot which was on the NW side of Front Avenue between Old River Road and West 10th Street (1887 map). Later this station was referred to as the West 11th Street Freight Depot.
Cleveland
(Glenville)
This more modern brick station was on the east side of East 105th Street at Dupont Avenue and most likely was built around 1930 to replace the older station that still exists at 9920 Foster Avenue. There was a freight house east of the passenger station on Leuer Avenue.
Cleveland
(Coits)

(NYC)
This station was on the west side of Coit Road, on the south side of the tracks.
Cleveland
(Collinwood)

(NYC)
The first frame station was built here in the 1870s. It was on Parker Street just east of Adams Street (both streets gone or renamed now).
Cleveland
(Collinwood)

(NYC)
The frame above station was replaced with a brick station in the early 1900s.
Cleveland
(Detroit Avenue)

(NYC)
This was also known as the West Cleveland Passenger Depot. It was on the north side of Detroit Avenue just west of Berea Road. The station was on the west side of the tracks.
Cleveland
(NYC)
There was a small passenger depot on the north side of Hamilton Avenue between East 33rd and East 38th Streets. It was just to the west of the LS&MS roundhouse and may have served the shops and industries in the area. This station is shown on the 1886 and 1896 maps.
Cleveland
(NYC)
The LS&MS had a freight house on the south side of the tracks in the vicinity of Davenport Avenue and East 20th Street.
Cleveland
(NYC)
According to 1886 Sanborn maps, there was a freight depot between Canal Street and Central Way, just west of the Canal Street/Commercial Street intersection. This was known as the LS&MS Central Way Freight Depot.
Cleveland
(NYC)
This was known as the Willow Street Freight Depot. It was, however, at the intersection of what was formerly Toledo and Lloyd Streets. There are no streets in this area now. This is on the west bank at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. The modern location would be just north of the River Road lift bridge over the ship channel. The freight depot was on the south side of the main line on the north bank of the ship channel.
Cleveland
(NYC)
There were freight stations (inbound and outbound) on the NE and SE corners of King and Wason (now called E. 38th) Streets. The stations, both with frontage on King Street, were known as the Wason Street Freight Depots and later as the 38th Street Freight Stations. They were on several sidings that came off the main line there.
Cleveland
(NYC)
The LS&MS had another freight house due north of Union Freight Depot on the lake shore. Later this became known as the "Old Pier Freight Depot." Just to the NE of this depot was a CCC&St.L roundhouse.
Cleveland
(NYC)
Sometime around 1910 the LS&MS built another freight house next to (to the west of) the "Old Pier Freight Depot." The new depot was called (you guessed it) the "New Pier Freight Depot."
Cleveland
(NYC)
According to maps from 1912, there was a freight station on the NE side of West 3rd Street just north of Canal Road. The station was partially under the NKP tracks which passed overhead there on a trestle. The station was on a spur that branched off to the south from near Harrison Street.
Cleveland The Orange Avenue Freight Terminal was along Orange Avenue at East 22nd Street. The NKP's Boradway Freight Terminal was to the NW across Broadway Avenue.
Cleveland There was a freight station on the west side of 152nd Street north of Saranac Road.
Dover This station was on the east side of Dover Center Road on the border of what is now Westlake and Bay Village.
Euclid Sat on Chardon Road.
Euclid The first station at Euclid was on the west bank of the Euclid Creek. It was built around 1852. In the mid 1860s, the LS&MS acquired the CP&A, built a new, larger station and changed the name of this stop to Nottingham in honor of Henry Nottingham a company supervisor.
Euclid
(Nottingham)
This passenger station was on the NW side of Syracuse Avenue (formerly South Depot Street). It was just to the NE of Brussels Road. The station was on the south side of the tracks.
Glendale
(Bedford)
This stop was on the south side of West Glendale Avenue near Magnolia Avenue on the east side of the tracks.
Linndale This was the first Linndale station which served until 1929 when it was replaced by the station listed below. It was located near the intersection of West 120th Street (formerly Grand Street) and Zelis Road (formerly Snow Avenue). 
Linndale This station was built in 1929 and was the westernmost point where electric locomotives picked up passenger cars for the trip to Cleveland Terminal.
Maple Heights
Newburgh Heights  
Newburgh The first W&LE station here was west of 91st Street where the PRR, Newburgh & South Shore and PRR junctioned.
Newburgh
(93rd Street)
The passenger station was at 3959 East 93rd Street across from Booth Avenue. It was on the east side of the street and the south side of the tracks. It was built in 1909.
Newburgh This combination station was on Richmond Avenue SE just west of East 93rd Street.
Noble  
North Randall Sat behind Toys-R-Us off Miles road. Was vacant and boarded up for a long time. Torn down sometime in late 2006/early 2007.
Olmsted Falls Although the existing station was built in 1876, the 1874 map of the town shows an earlier depot here on the north side of the tracks approximately across the tracks from where the existing station is now.
Rockport
(West Park)
This station was on the north side of Lorain Avenue just west of West 143rd Street. It was on the east side of the tracks.
Solon The original station here was built prior to 1874. It burned in the early 1880s and was replaced by the station that still exists.
Solon  
South Park South Park was on the B&O's Cleveland Terminal & Valley Sub-division, about 10 miles south of Cleveland.
Strongsville  
Vaughn  
West View
1898 CUYAHOGA COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Bedford (Connotton Valley) - Restored 1987.  Line now leased to Connotton Valley Railroad, which operates the line from Falls Jct. to Weingold Scrap where the line is cut off. Although built by the Connotton Valley Railway, it is restored according to its 1920s W&LE look.

Berea (CCC&St.L) - Across from BE Tower On National Register of Historic Places. Here's a shot before it was gobbled up by the restaurant.

Berea (B&O) - Station was "Berea" but building actually was in Middleburg Heights. It resided at Trolleyville USA for many years (Trolleyville closed in 2005) until being moved to Olmsted Falls in late 2008.

Bay Village (NKP) - Moved from trackside to city park.

Brecksville (CT&V) - Building was purchased by the operator from Jaite and moved to the current location in 1942.

Chagrin Falls (Chagrin Falls & Southern) - Temporarily moved to Geauga County Fairgrounds in Burton. The depot, owned by Claridon Township Trustee Mary Briggs took about 3 1/2 hours to move. She plans to place the depot on a parcel she owns at 14801 Goodwin Ave in Burton Village. The depot is visible from Claridon-Troy Road. The Chagrin Falls and Southern was a private, narrow-gauge line nicknamed "the Silver Plate" and later became part of the Wheeling & Lake Erie, which became part of  the Nickel Plate.

Cleveland (Union Station) - Terminal Tower was served by the CCC&ST.L, NKP, and LS&MS and Erie (beginning in 1948).

Cleveland (Valley Railway) - Later owned by the B&O, closed to passenger traffic in 1934 and then became a freight office.

Cleveland (Erie) - The roof has been collapsed for years.

Cleveland (W&LE) - Houses QRS Office Supply. The pitched roof over the back end of the freight house was replaced with a flat roof (see photos). There was another W&LE freight house across Commercial Road which is now gone.

Falls Junction (Connotton Valley) - Falls Junction depot was built in 1883 by the Connotton Valley Railway at the junction of Cochran Road and the tracks which served Chagrin Falls. When the Austin Powder Company relocated in northeastern Ohio, it founded a company town known as Glenwillow and moved the depot there. Until 1974, the depot was used by the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway. In 1993, the W&LE donated it to the Midwest Railway Preservation Society.

Glenville (LS&MS) - This was the original Glenville station. It was originally at the end of Foster Avenue on the NW side of the tracks (where the Shoreway is today). It was most likely moved to make way for the Cleveland Shoreway.

Olmstead Falls (LS&MS) - Houses CV&WS Model RR Club. PRR Caboose on site. Station is on the NRHP listed with a date built of 1876.

Solon (Erie) - Replaced original station which burned. The tracks are actually out of service to the east of the station, but still in service to the west of it--about 50 feet east of the station, there is a piece of rail removed to officially take the line out of service to east.