CARROLL COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Current
Use
Date
Built
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Carrollton Second Street and High Street C Railroad 1914 In Use Brick
Minerva 301 Valley Street P Society 1917 Gone Brick
Watheys Algonquin Mill in Petersburgh P Society ???? None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Atwood Atwood was between Dellroy and Barrick on the CC&S.
Barrick  
Carrollton Prior to the W&LE station being built in 1914, the CC&S had a smaller frame building at the same site at the corner of Second and High Streets. This old station is shown on maps from 1896.
Carrollton Does anyone know where this station was located? The Carrollton & Oneida was originally a horse-drawn railroad, but the horsepower was later replaced with steam engines.
DelLRoy
Hibbetts  
Leesville
Leyda  
Malvern This station was located on Reed Avenue on the north side of the tracks.
Mechanicstown  
Minerva Before the "new" W&LE station was built in 1917, the CC&S (later W&LE) had a frame station located about 100 yards to the east of where the existing station is at the corner of Market Street and Lincoln (now McKinley). At the time, Market Street ended at the depot, but was extended after the depot was demolished.
Minerva The Lake Erie Alliance & Wheeling (later NYC) combination station was located on Valley Street south of Curry Street. It was out of service by 1958 and torn down soon after. There was also a shared freight station at the NYC/W&LE diamond to the northwest.
Minerva This station was at the corner of South Market and East Plain Streets. This station is shown on maps from 1874 and lasted until the early 1970s. The agent there worked half day at Minerva, half day at Waynesburg. His job was abolished in the early 1970s and the depot was torn down sometime later.
Minerva Junction  
Oneida  
Pattersonville
(Augusta Sta.)
 
Pekin  
Scroggsfield  
Sherrodsville The passenger and freight stations were located NW of Church Street.
Sherrodsville The first station here was located on Hazelton West of Elm Street (near where Mill Used to intersect). The station was behind the old opera house. Both the tracks and the station were gone from this location by 1901.
Tabor
(Scott's Station)
Supposedly part of this building was preserved and used as part of the Biscuit House at the Algonquin Mill. This station was located on Route 39. The building housed 11 different businesses.
Wattsville  
Whitacres  
Wirtemburg
AND
According the the 1874 map, there was a building at the junction of the C&P and C&O here. Although not identified as a depot, it is the shape, size and location where one may have been. Wirtemburg is now the SE part of Oneida. This location would have been just SW of Blade Road near the trestle on the south side of the creek.
1898 Carroll County Railroad Map
Notes About Existing Stations...

Carrollton (W&LE) - Station used by Elderberry Line excursion RR.

Minerva (W&LE) - On National Register of Historic Places. See Note. The N&W had a traveling agent using the depot until around 1980 at which time it closed. Depot sat unused and vandalized until around 1991 when new W&LE took over 550 miles in OH & PA. During summer of 1991, Ohi-Rail, the village and Kohman Ford got together with new W&LE and created win-win-win-win situation. W&LE sold depot to Village of Minerva, W&LE sold team track area to Kohman and W&LE and Ohi-Rail removed diamond (track leading to depot) and cut in new switch, thus re-connecting old PRR (Ohi-Rail) with old W&LE (new W&LE) in Minerva. The village procured a grant, fixed up the depot and it now houses Chamber of Commerce and Salvation Army. Also, waiting room is open to use by Elderberry Line excursion train passengers. --Tom Barnett (2002)

Watheys (NYC) - Station moved to Petersburgh south of Carrollton. Depot closed in 30's, bought by a block operator named Scott Crawford who worked Minerva Yard. He had it on his farm for many years. After he died in the 70's, his niece donated it to Carroll County Historical Society, it was moved to Petersburg, (south of Carrollton on SR 332) and restored and is open every fall during the Alogonquin Mill Festival. --Tom Barnett (2002)