SHERBURNE COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
zimmerman
(Lake Fremont)
At dead end of Rochester Street NE, Isanti (from MN-65 go 1 mile east on C.R. 9, Rochester Street is the second road on the south side). C ???? Residence None Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Bailey Siding Although the GN and NP run parallel here, only the GN had a siding and station here (according to 1903 maps).
Becker The GN and NP stations sat a few feet away from each other between Hancock and Willow Streets. The tracks ran parallel here with the GN on the "outside" in respect to the location of the town.
Becker See above. The station pictured is probably the second generation NP depot at that location.
Big Lake See below.
big lake In later years the railroads shared a station, but according to the 1903 map of the town GN and NP had separate stations. They were essentially next to each other on the east side of Lake Street South. The NP tracks were north of the GN tracks.
Big Lake
AND
 
Cable
(Haven)
This location was known as Haven Station on the GN and Cable on the NP.
Cable  
Clear lake The Clear Lake GN and NP stations were next to each other on the SE side of Center Street (not sure which street this is now as the names have all changed).
Clear Lake Note the similarity in design between this station and the Big lake station.
Elk River This station was near the intersection of US-10 and Norfolk Street, although there is not through street to the tracks here anymore.
Elk River This station was east of Proctor Avenue NW near where 6th Street used to cross the tracks.
Fitzpatrick This station was located six miles north of Elk River on the east side of Section 33 in Livonia Township. It was likely gone by the early 1900s.
Houlton Siding This station was located three miles north of Elk River in the west central part of Section 16, Elk River Township. The county map from 1903 shows a spur here with several buildings around it. This property, and quite a bit in and around Elk River, was owned by William Henry Houlton (1840-1915) who had a lumber, flour and mercantile business along with his brother Horatio. Not sure if there was a passenger station here, but there was likely at least a freight station.
1898 SHERBURNE COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Zimmerman (GN) - Although the map above depicts Zimmerman and Lake Fremont as separate locations, they were essentially the same town and thus only had one station. The area where the station was has now been redeveloped, but the station originally was located along what is now Gateway Drive near where that street bends from east/west to north/south.