OLMSTED COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Rochester 4th Street SE
(GPS: 44.019023, -92.461369)
P 1899 Restaurant In Use Wood
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Byron The station was on the west side of Tremain Street (now called Byron Street after all original names were stripped from the streets). The C&NW built a station here in 1883.
Chatfield  
Chatfield This station at the end of Bench Street near the intersection with Spring Street (GPS: 43.845852, -92.192546). This intersection no longer exists as Bench Street now ends at 1st Street SW and Spring Street ends at Twilford Street. The station was also accessible from a short driveway (Depot Road on Sanborn maps) from Twilford Street. It was built in 1878. This station was just south of the county line in Fillmore County.
Chester This station was located on the west side of Chester Ave. SE (county Road 119) on the south side of the tracks.
Corra In 1896 this station was located on the property of Thomas Malthieson. This location today is in northern Viola Township, about 200 yards north of CR 24 where the old RR grade crosses. An old trestle still exists near where this station used to sit. This station survived at least into the CN&W era as it is shown on 1896 maps.
Douglass The first station here was built in 1878 on land owned by Harrison Douglas. It was on the SW corner of Hunter and Jones Streets. This was about 1/2 mile south of where 75th Street is today. The R&NM later became part of the C&NW. Spelled alternately as "Douglas" on some maps, the name with the double "s" is correct.
Douglass This combination station was 1/2 block south of Main Street. There was a cheese factory just south of this station.
Doty Station This station was on the property of Edwin A. Doty on the southern border of Viola Township. This location is now just north of CR 9 just west of MN 42. This station survived at least into the CN&W era as it is shown on 1896 maps.
Dover The first station here was built in 1869, a couple of years after the Winona & St. Peter was taken over by the C&NW. In 1896, the station was on the east side of North Chatfield Street, on the south side of the tracks. There was a hotel just south of the station. A new station was built here in 1895.
Dover This station was on the SE corner of Chatfield Street and Center Street. The station was on the south side of the tracks.
Eyota The first station here was built in 1864. The station was located on the west side of Center Street, just north of Front Street South.
Eyota In 1879 separate passenger and freight stations were built here by the C&NW.
Judge The station was on the farm owned by Edward Judge.
Olmsted This station was 4.5 miles west of Rochester on the boundary line between Kalmar and cascade Townships. It was on the farm of J.V. Matthews, which was roughly on the NW side of the intersection of 60th Ave NW (CR 104) and US 14 West.
Oronoco Switch At first there were two old boxcars that served as stations for the two railroads (see below). Later a small frame depot was constructed. This location is inaccessible by road today (although you can use the bike path on the former right of way to get there. It was located between what today is New Haven Road NW and CR 31, approximately 1/2 mile south of 1117th Street NW. 
Oronoco
Switch
The Wisconsin, Minnesota & Pacific was first to build a station here.
Planks Crossing This station was a boxcar without wheels. It was on the southern border of Eyota Township between Eyota and Chatfield.
Predmore The first station here was built in 1891.
Rochester This station was on the east side of 1st Avenue NW on the south side of the tracks (GPS: 44.026814, -92.464021). It was built in 1895 (some sources say 1890, but it was not on the Sanborn map for that year). It served as the Depot House restaurant from 1967-1979 and later housed the Salvation Army. It was demolished in 1989 with the construction of Civic Center Drive.
rochester  This freight station was to the NE of the intersection of 3rd Avenue and 4th Street (GPS: 44.027620, -92.467456). It was built around 1895 when the new passenger station was built.
Rochester   The origininal wood frame combination station was on the west side of 1st Avenue NW (formerly Main Street) at GPS: 44.027091, -92.465059. It was built in 1865 by the Winona & St. Peter and was torn down when the C&NW built the new brick station in 1895.
Rochester There was a freight station on the south side of 1st Street SE at GPS: 44.022291, -92.462124.
Simpson Town and station were named after the secretary of the Winona & Southwestern RR. The depot was on the east side of Main Street, just north of Church Street. These street names no longer exist here.
Stewartville This station was on the south side of Broad Street just west of 2nd Street at approximately GPS: 43.852231, -92.485529.
Viola This station was on the SW corner of Market and Park Streets. A later C&NW station was built here in 1898.
Zumbrota Junction This station was located in section 34 of Cascade Township.
1898 oLMSTED COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Rochester (Winona & Western) - The Winona & Western Railway depot was originally located on the south side of College Street (now 4th Street SE) on the east side of the tracks by the Zumbro River (GPS: . It's second location was on the north side of 2nd Street SE (formerly Zumbro Street) (GPS: 44.021925, -92.461947). The Chicago Great Western Railroad bought the Winona & Western Railway in 1901. In January of 1903, the depot was cut in two and moved across the river (according to the Olmsted County Historical Society). The Sanborn map from 1904 however shows a very small station on the north side of 2nd Street SE and no station on the south side of College Street. Next to the illustration of the small station is the note, "to have new depot." The 1909 map shows the small station gone and the existing station now in its place. It was moved to its current location on 4th Street SE in 1993.