MURRAY COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
avoca Six miles north of Hadley MN at 1557 100th Avenue
(GPS: 44.074198 ,-95.86435)
C 1899  Garage None Wood
currie At the End-O-Line RR Park & Museum, 440 North Mill Street C 1900 Museum None Wood
fulda 105 Front Street East C 1880 Business In Use Wood
wirock In Worthington (Nobles Co.) at Pioneer Village in Fairgrounds off Stower Avenue on the NW edge of town. C ???? Museum None Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
Chandler This depot was at the intersection of 5th and Main Streets, on the north side of the tracks. After service, the depot was sold and moved nearby to a trucking company where it was destroyed a few years later by a tornado.
dovray This station was on the north side of Railway Street between Hoffman and Woodman Streets. It was on the south side of the tracks. In 1904 the town was actually moved one mile north and one mile west to be closer to the railroad line. This station was built in 1906. After service the station was moved to a farm east of Westbrook MN, but is now gone.
Hadley This station, built in 1899, was on the west side of Main Street North, on the north side of the tracks. The station was torn down for lumber around 1960, and it sits in a barn on the site of the Avoca station listed above. The owner was going to build a house with it but someone cautioned him against it because of a possible coal smoke odor.
Iona
(IONA LAKE)
The station was on the east side of Parnell Avenue, on the south side of the tracks. There doesn't appear to be an Iona lake anywhere in the vicinity of this town, but that's what it was in fact referred to (according to historical records, the town had a baseball team called the "Lakers"). Also, I see no evidence that any RR other than the CM&St.P line went through Iona, even though the photo indicates that it was a "union" station. Very odd.
Lake Wilson Built in 1911, this station was on the west side of Broadway Avenue, on the north side of the tracks. The depot was saved as a business but a gas explosion and resulting fire in a adjacent building destroyed it about 2003.
Lime Creek The station was to the east of the grain elevators. It was on the north side of the tracks. It was built in 1899.
Slayton The depot, built in 1899, was on the east side of Broadway, on the north side of the tracks.
1898 MURRAY COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Avoca (CSt.PM&O) - The original location of this depot was on the north side of 2nd Street, on the west side of the tracks. It was moved in the 1960s.

Currie (CSt.PM&O) - The original location of this station was on the west side of Mill Street (now 200th Avenue), on the south side of the tracks.

Fulda (CM&St.P) - This Eastlake-style station was moved a short distance to its current location in 1901. As it was built in 1880, it may have been built by the Southern Minnesota RR or the CM&St.P as the latter purchased the former during that same year.