BLUE EARTH COUNTY

Untitled 1

     

EXISTING STATIONS
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Current
Location
Type Date
Built
Current
Use
Track
Status
Building
Material
More
Info
Amboy Memorial Park about 1 mi. west of St. James (Watonwan County), right side of road by campground. C 1894 Museum None Wood
huntley
(Fairibault Co.)
110 West Maine Street in Amboy (Blue Earth County). C 1879  Storage None Wood
lake crystal 12346 Shag Road, SE of New Ulm. C ???? Storage None Wood  
Mankato
AND
South Riverfront Drive, SW of Main Street
(GPS: 44.167493, -94.004394)
C 1912 Business In Use Brick  
Mapleton CR 7, two miles south of town C ???? Farm Use None Wood  
Minneopa 21099 547th Avenue. Northeast corner of Gadwall and 547th at the Minneopa State Park Maintenance yard.
(GPS: 44.152159,-94.08921)
C ???? Civic None Wood
Rapidan Main Street C 1906 Museum Gone Wood  
STATIONS OF THE PAST
Station
Name
Original
Railroad
Notes
benning
station
Three different lines crossed here. Not sure which, if any, had stations.
cambria This station was on the SE side of Maple Street (CR 6). It was wood with a stone foundation and was built in 1900.
bradley
Station

AND
Not sure if there was one station here or two as the tracks ran next to each other. There was a train wreck on the CSt.PM&O line near here on April 18, 1875.
eagle lake This station was just west of 3rd Street. It was built in 1885.
Garden City This station was on the north side of CR 13 (Red River Ridge Road, formerly Washington Street). This frame station was built in 1879.
Good Thunder This depot was on the north side of Main Street just west of Front Street.
judson The depot was at the corner of Railroad and Broad Streets and was built in 1900.
lake crystal This station was on the SW corner of Watonwan and Lilly Streets (which no longer intersect). There was a roundhouse two blocks north of the station on Lilly Street. There was also a separate freight station here. The passenger station was built in 1889.
madison lake This station was on the north side of Spruce Avenue (formerly called Race Street) between 5th and 6th Streets.
mankato
AND
This passenger station was northwest of Front Street between Jackson and Hickory Streets. The railroads has separate freight stations on each side of the passenger station with the CGW freight station to the SW and the CM&St.P freight station to the NE.
Mankato Freight station.
mankato There was a freight station on the northwest side of Pike Street. Today this location is near the river north of South Riverfront Drive halfway between Cherry and Hickory Streets. A later brick freight station was built in 1910.
mapleton This station was on the north side of Main Street at 3rd Street. Is this the same station that is still standing?
minneopa This station was located at Minneopa State Park due north of the falls on what used to be called Depot Street. It was built around 1870 and the small village of Minneopa was north of the depot with the falls and picnic grounds to the south.
minneopa This later station was built in 1906.
pemberton This depot was located on Railway Street (MN 83) between Main Street and 1st Avenue (where 2nd Ave used to intersect Railway St.). A station was originally slated to be built one mile southwest at the townsite of Cream, but when the land was purchased at Pemberton, that spelled the end for the town of Cream (which had a boxcar for a depot when the RR came through in 1907).
Perth  
st. clair This station was at the bend in Railroad Street.
stone station There was a short spur here that went to a quarry to the NW. The station here was known as Quarry until 1902.
vernon center This station was on the south side of Main Street on the west side of the tracks. It was built in 1879.
1898 BLUE EARTH COUNTY RAILROAD MAP
Notes About Existing Stations...

Amboy (CSt.PM&O) - The original location of this station in Amboy was at the SW corner of 1st and Maine Streets.

 

Huntley (CM&St.P) - Moved from original location to 31710 170th Street, then to Amboy, MN. The depot was given to the Amboy Area Community Club free of charge with the condition that it be restored. The project was started in 2011 and the station has now (2013) been restored in Amboy.

Minneopa (C&NW) - Minneopa, a ghost town just west of Mankato and now the site of Minneopa State Park. Town folded early but the RR kept the station there for a while to serve excursions to Minneopa Falls. The state park started about 1905 and at sometime later the state bought the station, moved it north across the tracks to serve as the Park Superintendents house. Now it is the Maintenance office for the Park.